Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I upgraded to a 5g network and found out after a lot of work my HP Envy does not support 5g. Does anyone know of a good printer that support 5g. What is happening is the printer see and accepts the wireless but the computers cannot see it.
19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer indeed only support 2.4GHz, dual band is not supported by the printer.

If the computer is connected to a 5GHz wireless network, it will not be able to see the printer through the network and this is expected behavior.

Any HP printer only supports 2.4GHz so there are no HP printers who support 5GHz connection.

You may find more information in the following link:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-network-help.html

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
Thanks, are there printers on the market that do support 5g.? Is HP coming out with on?
HP Recommended

If your computer is connected through the 5G network your printer on the 2.4G network will work just fine.  They are on the same internal network as all your devices can talk to each other.  Printers will most likely not be supported on the 5G networks as the distance is about half that of the 2.4G and they don't need speed.  Also printer manufacturers don't want the hassle of troubleshooting poor range issues with the 5G band.   

HP Recommended

Hi sabretooth04,

To clarify, a computer connected to a 5GHz wireless network will not be able to communicate with a printer connected to a 2.4GHz wireless connection.

As a reference you may find the following:

802.11n – established in late 2009, the most modern wireless networking standard is the fastest and least prone to interference. Like 802.11g, it supports the most modern security standards (WPA and WPA2). 802.11n can operate in either the 2.4GHz band or the less interference-prone 5.0GHz band. A device operating at 802.11n 2.4GHz, cannot connect to another device operating at 802.11n 5.0GHz.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-network-help4.html

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is wrong.  My computer is connected to my 5Ghz band and my printer is connected to my 2.4Ghz band.  It prints just fine and has been for 2 years.   Thousands are working just fine this way.   It's the IP that counts... not the frequency of the band. 

HP Recommended

@ShlomiL wrote:

Hi sabretooth04,

To clarify, a computer connected to a 5GHz wireless network will not be able to communicate with a printer connected to a 2.4GHz wireless connection.

As a reference you may find the following:

802.11n – established in late 2009, the most modern wireless networking standard is the fastest and least prone to interference. Like 802.11g, it supports the most modern security standards (WPA and WPA2). 802.11n can operate in either the 2.4GHz band or the less interference-prone 5.0GHz band. A device operating at 802.11n 2.4GHz, cannot connect to another device operating at 802.11n 5.0GHz.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-network-help4.html

Just to add to this.  The above is correct if no router is involved and you are directly connecting only the two devices.  However, with dual band routers and adapters, this is not the case.  I believe that is what you are trying to say.  But for home use, we are talking about dual band routers.

HP Recommended
How soni get mine to work. I have 5g the compute is contested to and the wireless printer sees and connect to the computer just cannot see the printer
HP Recommended

Is the printer connected to the router?  What is the IP of the printer when connected?  Can the router see the printer's IP?  What instructions have you followed and what have you done????

HP Recommended
The printer is wireless and shows connected to router. Yes I see the IP. VERIZION also sees it on line. It's all my computer, iPads an iPhones that cannot see the printer. Yes these devices are also logged on to the wireless. That's for any help
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.