Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi mlatif2000,

Please check your private messages for the next steps.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for correct response that solved my problem of Password Reset.

Your response is hereby accepted as solution to my problem.

Best regards

Latif

HP Recommended

However, I have another problem now.

After resetting the password, the HP Toolbox doesnot detect the printer. Nor the HP Fax utility or HP Fax Setup utility working.

Please help to resolve these problems

Best regards

Latif

HP Recommended

Hi mlatif2000,

I understand that you are now having issue with the printer not being seen by many of the utilities. At this point my suggestion would be to insert the installation CD into the computer and select Add Another Device. Now if this does not resolve the issue, the document ''Printer is Offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print'.

Please let me know how this works out for you, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you he suggestions by you. I tried these but it does not work.

May be I could not explain my problem.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer with the accompanied CD.

The following problems occur.

1. Printer is not detected by HP ToolBox FX, it says " Cannot connect to the device", when opened it shows a cross (X) on the printer..

2.  I can not change the printing preferences of the printer from the control pannel neither through any other software.

3. I cannot run the HP Fax Setup Wizard and HP Send Fax utilities.

But I can still print and scan using this printer.

I am confused and request for help.

Best regards

Latif

HP Recommended

Hi mlatif2000,

Thank you for the extra bit of information. With regards to the HP Toolbox Fx and the other utilities that are not detecting the printer, there are a couple of things that you can try.

First if you still have the installation CD that came with the printer, you can insert that CD back into the computer. When the CD launches you should have an option for Util or Utilities. Once you have selected the Util/Utilities option you should then see and option for Toolbox. After selecting to Toolbox you should see an .exe file. Once you open this file you should have a repair option.

If that does not resolve the issue you will need to completely uninstall and reinstall the software. I have included the document 'Uninstalling the Printer Software'. Once you do select your Operating system, please select the option for Uninstall with Add or Remove Programs/ Uninstall through the Windows Control Panel. Once the Uninstall is complete you will need to reinstall the software. I have included the link to the 'HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer Drivers' page. All you need to do is Select your operating system, and then click Next. After this you will need to click on Driver – Product Installation Software, and download the compatible software.

Please let me know how this works out for you, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello again Lil_Lisa27,

Following the steps recommended by you, I was able to succefully install the HP 1536dnf MFP on Windows 8.

But recently when I upgraded to Windows 8.1, my printer driver was removed while the Fax and Scan drivers were still intact.

After that I have tried several times by uninstalling and reinstalling the software from the original CD but I endup with an error message during detection of the device as shown below.

HP Installation Failure Error.JPG

Kindly advise me what can I do to install the printer again in Windows 8.1.

Best Regards

Latif

HP Recommended

Hi mlatif2000,

With regards to the fatal error that you are getting when trying to install the software for the 8.1 OS, this can be caused for a couple different reasons. First I have included the link 'HP Universal Print Driver for Windows PCL6'. I would download the software, and then right click and run as administrator when it has completed downloading.

If the above step fails to get the software installed, follow the steps in the document 'A 'Fatal Error' (MSI error) Displays on the Computer During HP Software Installation in Windows'.

Please let me know if after these steps you are able to install the software successfully, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hello Lil_Lisa27,

After uninstalling and installing several times finally I am able to successfully install the software. However, after successful completion of the software, I am unable to use the Fax and HP ToolboxFX.

The following message appers when activating the ToolboxFX.

Capture.JPG

And the following message appears while activating the HP Send Fax utility.

Capture1.JPG

I would again request your help.

Best regards

Latif

HP Recommended

Hi mlatif2000,

I am happy to hear that you have been able to install the software. With regards to the Toolbox and the Fax Setup Utility not working, I would suggest follow the steps that were done previously.

First if you still have the icon from the download, if not you may still be able to find it in your downloads. When the software launches you should have an option for Util or Utilities. Once you have selected the Util/Utilities option you should then see and option for Toolbox. After selecting to Toolbox you should see an .exe file. Once you open this file you should have a repair option.

If that does not resolve the issue you will need to completely uninstall and reinstall the software. I have included the document 'Uninstalling the Printer Software'. Once you do select your Operating system, please select the option for Uninstall with Add or Remove Programs/ Uninstall through the Windows Control Panel. Once the Uninstall is complete you will need to reinstall the software. I have included the link to the 'HP LaserJet Pro M1536dnf Multifunction Printer Drivers' page. All you need to do is Select your operating system, and then click Next. After this you will need to click on Driver – Product Installation Software, and download the compatible software.

I worked on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.