Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
2055dn
Android 9.0 Pie

I have a networked printer connected by Ethernet to a switch attached to the firewall appliance. This question is really simple to answer, if I can just find someone who knows.

Is it possible to print to an **Ethernet connected** printer--that means it is networked with a cable--through a wireless access point on the same network as an mobile device running Android?

There is no problem using Windows or Linux, only Android, because it seems there are no print drivers for mobile devices. My research indicates that the printer must itself be wifi capable, have wifi enabled, and receive jobs in sort of an 'ad hoc' wireless network like 'wifi direct'.

If this is the case, it is an open wound in the Android OS, and someone should step up to remedy it. If both Windows and Linux support it, but Android fails, HP needs to write print drivers, and perhaps a spooler, for Android.

Although Google should have some sort of spooler in Android.

I hope there is a way, but I can't find it. HP is noteworthy for it's resistance to obsoleting products simply by refusing to support them. That attribute alone adds value, 100% of a product's purchase price again on top, or, it doubles the value of HP products.

But if I can't print from my tablet to an Ethernet printer, through a wap, then the days of olde, when quality and lingevity of a product actually meant something, are gone.

I may hang on to a HP laser printer for 15-20 years, but during that time I am touting and specifying based on the HP brand, resulting in thousands of sales of HP products I am sure will please other users as well.

I have owned HP PRODUCTS since the Laserjet III in the late 1980s, and I have not thought twice about specifying HP for clients and friends. Our labs also are filled with HP/Agilent/Keysight instruments, because these represent supreme value!

I apologize for drifting a bit from the issue at hand. I implore the readers forgiveness!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.