Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I guess I should have checked the Internet first before installing the recommended update from HP.

From research, I understand this firmware update causes an irreversible corruption in the formatter board.

The printer was running fine before installing this driver.

Now what are we supposed to do, particularly after just spending over $500 on new ink cartridges?

If HP has indeed screwed their own product with this update and since the cartridges aren't open, perhaps our best bet is to take the cartridges back to Staples, throw the printer in the garbage and buy a Brother replacement printer, to go with the other 3 we use which we've never had a problem with.

Any help or advice would be appreciated...

Thanks...

Regards,
Doug

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Please confirm if the error occurs while product is turned on in standalone mode (without usb or network connections).

Is the product is able to boot successfully till READY status, but gives error only while print job is sent or when it is connected to USB or network port?

Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Click the 'Kudos Thumbs Up' if this was helpful. Thank You!

(Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)
HP Recommended

I have the same issue and it didn't work.

So now what are we suppose to do to get it repaired or corrected since the download online caused this printer to no longer function?

Please advise,,,,

HP Recommended

I never got an answer out of HP, even after escalating the issue, so we tossed the 2605dn in the garbage and bought a Brother laser.  Really happy with it....

In fact, we were ordering laser printers for a new office setup, so we bought 2 more Brother printers for it as well.  Always had great support from Brother when needed ...

Regards,

Doug

HP Recommended

Well, I've had a frustrating weekend with the same problem.

The printed started generating a 49 error code and I followed the suggestion to update the firmware.

So now I get mostly 79 errors with the occassional 49 error. The printer's currently in a reboot loop. What I don't get is any prints.

What's particularly galling is that not only does this firmware lead to the persistent 79 error, HP have removed any sign of the old firmware in order to regress.

This printer's only printed 693 pages, so I'm going to be incredibly annoyed if it's toast.

I've sent a request to HP Support via the website. Still waiting for any response.

HP Recommended

I have same issue with Error 79. I tried various re-set of printer, but none has helped. When I send print job (either connected by Ethernet or USB), printer just give Error 79 and restarts. Notthing else happen. Phone support person stated that no support is provided for this printer anymore since it is discontinued... Very frustrating as I still have a whole set of unused cartriges...

Did anyone else solve this problem, or basically I am stuck with expensive cartridges and dead printer???

HP Recommended
I am going to say this for the last time. The firmware issue was over 1 1/2 years ago so anyone who is now getting the issue it is because your formatter has gone bad. The 79 error existed before the bad firmware since even then formatters did go bad. The printer is now old and has been replaced by over 5 newer models over the years. Like old cars things go bad over time and need to be replaced. With your printer the formatter has gone bad and needs to be replaced or you can opt to replace the who printer, your choice. There is no magical fix for the issue since a portion of your hardware is now broken. Replacement is the only option.
HP Recommended

SOLVED : 79 error on 2605dn.

I just got the 79 error code. constant resetting. I shut off the printer, removed power cord, left it unplugged for 5 minutes. I opened up a little latch door on the back of the printer and inside was a removable stick of memory (ram). I removed the ram and closed the little metal door. By the way... that board that the memory is plugged into is the frmatter board. Now, pull out the paper drawer. <--sounds silly, but it worked for me.

Put the power cord back into the printer, wait for 20 seconds, and turn it back on.

I did those exact steps and I got an error because the paper was removed. I put the paper drawer back and it continued to boot up as normal with no errors.

I turned the printer back off to see if it would work again, and when I turned it back on it was still working.

I also reinstalled the memory and turned it back on and the 79 error came back. When I removed the memory(after unplugging the printer) it was working again.

I believe that the update may have messed with the printer's memory management features in a way that was no longer compatible with the extra memory I had installed. I had a 128 MB module installed.

I am betting that resetting to factory defaults will allow me to use the memory again, but I am not going to try it until it becomes an issue.

BTW: It could be bad memory, but so many people have this issue it seems unlikely... unless the update destroyed the memory somehow.

Good luck everyone!!

HP Recommended

Ordered 256MB SDRAM from Amazon and installed it after I completed the NVRAM reset.  Printer does not error code 79 and has never worked this fast before.  $19.00 fix with free shipping!!

HP Recommended

My printer does come up the ready state when I unplug the network cable.  I also downloaded the firmware update 2605_series_fw_20120413.exe.  I continually get the error message 79 and have tried everything.  Is there any solution to fix this problem?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.