Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I also tried the firmware upgrade, as well as pulling power. I still get 79 errors.

And take a look at this thread

Is HP going to do anything about this:

/t5/Printers-LaserJet/2605dn-error-79-resolution-needed/td-p/5669657/page/4#.U8faVfldXh4

It seem hundreds of people are affected by a bad firmware update.

HP Recommended
Can you tell me the model and link for the SDRAM? there are many kinds.
HP Recommended

I'm in the same boat.  Bought new toners $400, but not new enough to take back.  Entre said it needs a new formatter board, but hard to find one.  Also, they would charge 2 hrs time to replace, which probably equals $200 to n$300.  If I can replace it, I'll try to do it myself.

HP Recommended

I had this same issue just now. I was able to get my printer to work. Here is what I did:

I turn the printer off.

Unplugged the power cable from the printer.

Unplugged the USB from the printer.

I removed a little metal door on the back with a phillips head screw driver.

I pulled out the white strip from inside the door and then put it back in.

I plugged the power cable back into the printer.

Turned it on and let it reboot.

Then plugged in the USB into the printer.

I printed a test page.

No error.

Replaced the little metal door.

This seems to have worked. Hope this helps. I have been able to print for at least the last 15 minutes. Fingers crossed.

HP Recommended

I don't know who you are but why I was blessed to KEEP SCROLLING DOWN TO FIND YOUR POST - but thank you!!!!!!  Taking out what looks like a vital part to the board was the answer. I just replaced the magenta cartridge and was crushed!  Now all is good.  

HP Recommended

I tried everything. Even replaced with a HP Jet Pro 400 - mainly because the Magenta cart fits at the bottom of the 2605 and there is an issue with dust on the mirror, so red print turns out orange, and I need real red, primarily for airfield signage.

Then the release for the cartridges broke - had to replace toner carts by holding the retainer open with a screw driver. There is video on how to take the printer apart and fix both issues, but I don't need to spend a day or two going through THAT, although I have taken HP ink jet printers apart for parts replacement.

I used the 2605 for black-and-white printing of documents. Then one day it would print text and Word but would not print PDFs. Then, slowly, it would print nothing. No 79 error. Never did the firmware update (HP has made that virtually impossible for Mac users).

I have Win 7 installed on a separate, bootable partition. Downloaded the whole package of stuff for the latest firmware update. Difficult to tell, since during the process, the printer kept cycling on and off.

Ready for the trash heap.

Until I ran across the post about the "white strip" and the "door" in the back.

I followed the steps outlined in the post. It worked. In Mac, i re-installed new drivers (fresh copies). It worked.

Rebooted to my main working partition. No good.

Same flashing orange light.

Pulled the white belt connector last night. Left it unplugged. Installed the connector, turned on, and I was able to print a sample page. Connected the ethernet cable. Able to print Excel and text... so far. Have not tried a PDF (which is what I normally print).

We'll see. Won't be back to post. If it works, it works. If not, to the Dade County dump for this type of equipment.

Thanks for what may be a great idea. A couple of years late, but others may still hold out hope.

HP Recommended

GREAT> this worked - THanks

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I've got the exact same problem as everyone else.  Resetting loop with error 79, and I've tried sending the old firmware from 20071108.  The printer was working fine, and I foolishly did the 2012 firmware update, as we're constantly reminded by corporations to keep our software up-to-date.

Please help!

Dow

HP Recommended

Hi Krazy Krout,

Does your solution still work?  Did you not have a memory module in your 2605dn printer, installed the memory module, and then it worked?  I've tried just about everything else short of throwing money at it ... 

Please let me know!

Dow-

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, though none of this works. I'm going to try to upgrade the RAM since I have no SD RAM installed in the back of my printer. Taking the white strip out did nothing to my printer. 

I bought a Samsung Color Laserjet on Amazon and I am extremely happy with it! The cartridges cost $30 less and it prints just as well or better for 2/3 the cost. The printer on Amazon is only about $130! I'm done with HP completely and that is sad. They used to be the best in printing needs, but not anymore. I switched from HP laptop to Dell years ago because of a known issue with the laptop that HP wouldn't acknowledge. Now, they do the same thing with this printer. Glad to switch over to Samsung. NEVER had an issue with ANYTHING from Samsung yet!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.