Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

is there a patch for de deskjet 656c for windows8

HP Recommended

I know this post has been here for a while, but will the same patch work for Windows 8?  My old HP 722 keeps chugging along, even though my OS keeps changing.  And do I only need to overwrite the one file for that printer, hpvdb720.dll? Or do I need to copy them all?

HP Recommended

@cmloveland wrote:

I know this post has been here for a while, but will the same patch work for Windows 8?  My old HP 722 keeps chugging along, even though my OS keeps changing.  And do I only need to overwrite the one file for that printer, hpvdb720.dll? Or do I need to copy them all?

I have heard from a few folks with issues in Windows 8 x64 systems with the 720 series and the patch did not resolve the issue for them.  I have not had a chance yet to try this out with Win 8 although I did manage to borrow a Deskjet 720 for testing.  Too many projects, too little time...

In another thread I have seen repoirts that the USB-parallel converter the user had does not work in Windows 8 even though it is OK in Windows 7.  If someone here has a Windows 8 system with a "real" parallel port rether than a USB-parallel converter it would be an interesting test.

Only the hpvdb720.dll file applies to the 720/722, the others are for different models.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Thanks, I'll probably try the patch and see what happens. I'll let you know.
HP Recommended
It doesn't seem to work for me with Windows 8. Could be the cable, I'm using a 25-pin to USB adaptor. I might try a 36-pin to USB cable, directly between the printer and PC. Ironically, I can print on it from a Windows 7 PC on the network, even though the printer is cabled to the Windows 8 machine. I just can't get to it from the Win 8 PC. Properties says it's there and "working" but if I send a document to it just vanishes.
HP Recommended

@cmloveland wrote:
It doesn't seem to work for me with Windows 8. Could be the cable, I'm using a 25-pin to USB adaptor. I might try a 36-pin to USB cable, directly between the printer and PC. Ironically, I can print on it from a Windows 7 PC on the network, even though the printer is cabled to the Windows 8 machine. I just can't get to it from the Win 8 PC. Properties says it's there and "working" but if I send a document to it just vanishes.

That is actually an interesting result.  This indicates the USB-parallel converter is working properly and the issue likely lies with the Deskjet 722 driver.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help, but I'm spending way too much time on this -- will probably just buy a new printer.  This page says 722c isn't supported under Win8, even though 720 is.  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03168175  I can't seem to download just the driver file to try running it in compatibility mode, HP will only let me download it through Windows Update.  The spooler seems to be the problem, when I try to send a page to the printer, Windows says it is "offline."  I have to run the troubleshooter twice consecutively to get it back-- the first time it doesn't fix anything, the second time it resets the spooler.  Very weird.  Your patch worked for me when I upgraded a PC to Windows 7, but I think Windows 8 is too much for it!   It looks like I can get a new printer for about $100, at this point I think it's worth it.

HP Recommended

hi,

I have the same problem but the difference is that hp 710c is connected to a  XP32bit desktop (and shared over network).

And with a laptop,normally I just need to find it and "connect" -  and that's all (for win7 32 bit was perfectly working).

Now,on my laptop I have win7 64bit and when I click on "connect" I have some error : no driver.

I've used that patch but didn't fix the problem.It let me to browse for drivers at this point but it's searching  for ".inf" and not ".dll".

Please let me know how to further proceed.

thanks,

HP Recommended

Today is Super Bowl Sunday, and I'm inspired to rejuvenate my HP 722C printer.

The printer is connected to my Windows 7 (x64) PC via a USB-Serial adapter.

I tried several months ago but after downloading the 3 DLL instructions, I was unable to "unzip."

Please show me step-by step how to activate the printer, including the "adding" of printer to the system.

Thanks,

Neil

HP Recommended

I have a HP 710C printer and C2G (Cables to Go) USB to Parallel adapter cable #16898. I have been unable to install the printer, despite multiple attempts, including using the patch. I have also spent hours on the phone with the cable tech support: the adapter cable is working.  I checked the directory where the patch file should have been copied, and it is indeed there.  I am connected to port USB001, and have no other printers installed. My Windows 7 64-bit does have the HP 710C driver installed, and I thought I had applied the patch correctly. Yet I cannot even print a test page. What have I done wrong? Help, please.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.