Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I got an HP Photosmart A646 photo printer from a friend of a friend. He assured me he barely used it and it was working great when he used it last.  However, I am having issues with the ink cartridge and proper printing.

First time I tried it, it would only print cyan and magenta - no yellow. Jumped through all basic trobleshooting hoops. My final attempt at fixing was cleaning the cartridge contacts. No better.

Let it sit for a couple weeks, while I cooled down. Tried it again.

This time it only printed magenta and yellow - no cyan. Once again, tried all troubleshooting measures. No help.

A little more info -

This is a new, genuine HP ink cartridge and I'm using HP matte photo paper

Ink cartridge alignment failed

Printer Status says "Unknown Ink Level"

Help me, please, if you can. Have a boatload of photos I need to print.

Thanks in advance - K

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi there kjfent,

This article covers print quality issues for your printer. Give the steps outlined a shot and let us know if it helps.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
HP Recommended

No luck.

I believe Solution 5 is at heart of problem.

When I click on Printer Status, I see "Unknown Ink Level"

- there's a question mark in blue circle on top of ink cartridge icon.

As I said, I cleaned cartridge's contacts - twice.

Also, when I first start printer up and it tries to align cartridge, it says:

"Failure - Print cartridge alignment failed. See the product documentation for details."

The paper that comes our only shows magenta and yellow printing.

What next?

HP Recommended
How can I get this/my question reviewed by experts tomorrow/Sept 20?
HP Recommended

kjfent,

This printer may require servicing but it seems we have two seperate issues. Lets use this article for 2 way communication errors. Two way communication problems are usually the suspect for ink levels not displaying. If this does not work problems with the cartridges or printer itself could be the core issue. Next try this article while it generally deals with ink cartridge errors it does walk through all the steps we need to clean the ink cartridges and manually perform an alignment. Let us know the results.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.