Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi Joep123 ,

That is good that you were able to get the printer installed fully again. But too bad that the Toolbox still isn't running.

Most likely it was a Windows update that affected the software. But unfortunately we are unable to run the system restore on the computer.

You had mentioned that you can access the Toolbox from the printer's Embedded Web Server. If the printer is also networked, then the driver's port might be for the ethernet connection and not the USB connection, which is causing this issue. Let me know if you have the printer networked and are using a USB connection.

What was your purpose of accessing the Toolbox?

You can access the same options through the printer display, if you are wanting to calibrate, run a cleaning or view the ink levels.

What kind of Antivirus Software are you running on the computer?

Try turning off the Windows Firewall as well as the Antivirus Software, to see if that makes a difference.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi,

Here some additional information:

As I described in my first post, when I try to run HP Device Toolbox, I see a short flash in top left of my screen.

The flash is a small white rectangular window that stays for less then a second on the screen.

I was able to capture that flash in a picture.

The picture is attached. Perhaps it can give you a clue why the Device Toolbox is not starting.

White rectangular flash when trying to start HP Device Toolbox

HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer was connected via both USB and Wifi.

Now I disabled Wifi and I repeated the whole uninstall and install procedure again with only USB connected and Wifi disabled.

This makes no difference, Toolbox is still not starting.

I use the HP Device Toolbox application for cheking toner levels and other issues. I know I can acces it via webbrowser but I used to use the tool via the Windows application and it worked always properly.

AntiVirus scanner is Bitdefender Total Security 2015

This Bitdefender (by default) disables the Windows firewall and uses its Bitdefender Firewall.

I did a check with disabled Bitdefender Firewall and disabled Windows Firewall,  but Toolbox does not start then.

HP Recommended

Hi Joep123 ,

I have been checking into this issue further.

Check to see how the printer driver is named in the Device Manager, you might have to update if it is showing Universal Print Drive, it should be listed as the LaserJet 100 color MFP M175. A Fatal Error Displays During Software Installation. Disregard the title.

Try using the Toolbox again.

If you are still having issues, try these steps, they had worked for another user with the same issue.

1.Switch the Windows Firewall to Off may help establish Toolbox communication

2.In windows Firewall Click the Exceptions tab. Verify that the check box next to File and Printer Sharing is checked. This setting may affect network installed printers if it is unchecked.
3.Click on start->all programs->HP->HP LaserJet M175 and click on Toolboxfx and check.
4.Please go to the following directory C:\ProgramData\Hewlett-Packard\ToolboxFX\Settings.
5.Under this directory delete all the files in Settings folder.
6.Then reboot the computer and restart the printer. This should help.

If you still can't access the Toolbox Software try this:

Unlock Hidden Administrator Account:

1. Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
  2. CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
  3. Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
  4. Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
  5. When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  6. If your computer automatically logs into your account after restart than go to your start menu click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
  7. Install the printer on this account.
  8. Test printing and the Toolbox.
  9. Then log back into your account and test it again.

Please let me know either way if one of the steps worked or not please.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi,

In device manager it is reported as HP Laserjet 100 color MFP M175 PCL6 so I guess that is ok.

Windows Firewall is disabled since I use the antivirus program Bitdefender Total Security 2015,  and that is disabling Windows Firewall and uses the Bitdefender Firewall.

I already disabling this Bitdefender Firewall but that does not solve the Toolbox problem.

In start->all programs->HP->HP LaserJet M175   there is no Toolboxfx item ?! So I cannot click and check.

In directory C:\ProgramData\Hewlett-Packard   there is no directory Toolboxfx ?!  So I cannot delete files in Settings.

The procedure of unlocking the net user Administrator and install under that account, I tried that already and that did not solve the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi Joep123,

It doesn't look like the Toolbox Software installed properly on the computer.

You should have the HP Device Toolbox, from the All Programs, HP.

Also it should have been located in the directory of the computer.

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836 for further assistance, they can remote into your computer to see better to what is going on with the Toolbox Software. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Let me know the results.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.