Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My PC is a Core 2 Duo with 8GB RAM running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I purchased an HP LaserJet CP1025 Color printer

The software on CD would not install (same errors as below)

The HP full installer package (latest downloaded version from HP web site, link below) progresses as far as when the printer is connected and is recognized, then during the stage of installing device drivers, the installer crashes with the message "HP Installer Setup Has Stopped Working".

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL34894/lj-86491-5/LJCP1020_FWUpdate_signed.exe

These are the steps I have taken to try to resolve this:

a) My Windows 7 system is fully up to date, all patches applied

b) Used MSCONFIG to do selective startup (no startup items and no user services, only Microsoft services)

c) De-installed all previous versions of any HP software (from Programs & Features)

d) Removed all HP printer devices (from Devices and Printers)

e) Restarted my PC (using MSCONFIG as above)

f) Tried the HP installation 8 times, always the same failure during installation

g) Read all support notes published by both HP and Microsoft

This is NOT an AMD processor issue (mine is Core 2 Duo)

This issue DOES apply to HP Laserjet printers

NOTE: connecting the printer and allowing Microsoft update toi find device drivers does allow a minimal installation after which the printer is operational, however none of the HP utilities are present of course!

Why does the HP full package Installer not work ?

PS:  I am an IT professional in my day job.

Regards,

Rob Sherratt

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Further diagnostics from Windows Event Log:

GENERAL tab:

Faulting application name: ProductInst64.exe, version: 2011.810.1.40032, time stamp: 0x4e41eab8
Faulting module name: hppdcompio.dll, version: 1.3.0.24, time stamp: 0x4c9685da
Exception code: 0xc0000417
Fault offset: 0x000000000000552c
Faulting process id: 0x460
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd9511cc781e44
Faulting application path: C:\HP_LaserJet_CP1020_Series_Full_Solution\ProductInst64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\hppdcompio.dll
Report Id: 521cd7fa-0105-11e2-8548-001d7d04f17b

DETAILS tab:

ProductInst64.exe       2011.810.1.40032       4e41eab8       hppdcompio.dll       1.3.0.24       4c9685da       c0000417       000000000000552c       460       01cd9511cc781e44       C:\HP_LaserJet_CP1020_Series_Full_Solution\ProductInst64.exe       C:\Windows\system32\hppdcompio.dll       521cd7fa-0105-11e2-8548-001d7d04f17b

There are subsequent error messages arising from the root cause event above, e.g.

Faulting application name: HPCP1020STRAY.EXE, version: 2011.331.1.35133, time stamp: 0x4d94c845
Faulting process id: 0x3d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd95148a111087
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\HP\HP LaserJet Professional CP1020 Series\HPCP1020STRAY.EXE
Report Id: c936e316-0107-11e2-8548-001d7d04f17b

And also:

Faulting application name: HPCP1020SM.EXE, version: 2011.331.1.35133, time stamp: 0x4d94c6da
Faulting process id: 0xed8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cd95148a0fff13
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\HP\HP LaserJet Professional CP1020 Series\HPCP1020SM.EXE
Report Id: cde2a259-0107-11e2-8548-001d7d04f17b

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue, and a quick search of the web shows that a LOT of people have this issue. Why has no one responded to this or posted a fix?

Definitely will not ever purchase another HP printer. They even wanted $25 for "out of warranty support" when it's their own crappy software that won't work... unbelievable!

HP Recommended
Hello all,

The exception codes shown posted above seem to be variations of 0xc errors. This article should help resolve the error you are getting:
http://goo.gl/sbOF2

Give the steps a try and let us know if it helps or if anything new pops up.

Best of Luck!
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
HP Recommended

Hi John,

Thanks for trying to help.  Please can you explain why the "Ink system error" is in any way related to the failure of the intaller package to complete a normal installation?  Can you point me to some aspect of the "ink system errror" resolution which also resolves the installer failure?

Thanks,

Rob

HP Recommended

Yeah, unfortunately that's not an alphanumeric code that displays on the front of the printer. It's actually an error code recorded by Window's Event Tracker.

HP Recommended

I solved this issue!! I'll be posting this to my section first and then copy it over here. So excited! Doesn't look like anyone else has been able to solve this issue!!

HP Recommended

Alright, well this was a beast of a problem to say the least. I'm so relieved to be finished with this nonsense. 

How it all started - a recap:

We changed the password on our wireless network as we were updating it for security reasons.  I couldn't find ANYTHING that allowed for me to update the network details (password or SSID) directly on my printer and everywhere said I needed to uninstall and reinstall everything (and re-run the connect to wifi via USB). This is not the case - there is a much simpler solution which I will also cover at the end of this post. Anyway, as mentioned above, during the stage of installing device drivers, the installer crashes with the Windows message "HP Installer Setup Has Stopped Working".

How I fixed it:

1. Printed a configuration page by pressing down the 'resume' button for a few seconds and letting go. I took note of the following in the upper right corner: 

Network in Use: None
     IP Address: 0.0.0.0

I got continued to wonder if I could connect to the printer directly through the ethernet port so I...

2. plugged in a cat5 from my laptop to the printer. 

3. Printed a second configuration page. Now I got the following information:

Network in Use: Wired

IP Address: 169.254.71.50

4. I opened my web browser and tried going to 169.254.71.50 but the page wouldn't connect. I recently just built a gaming computer and found a way to bridge internet from a wireless laptop to a wired device (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Z1_6rX5qU) so I wondered if this would work with the printer.

5. Bridged my Wireless and Network connections as per the video above.

6. Opened my web browser and once again tried navigating to 169.254.71.50 and it WORKED! (Not sure if that IP address is unqiue to my printer, but printing a configuration report is the best place to find it. 

7. I clicked on the Networking tab and then selected  Wireless Configuration.

8. From here I was able to enable my wireless connection, updated my wireless password, and choose the wireless network I wanted to connect to! This is how you can update your wifi information without having to do a complete reinstall!! 

9. I now unplugged the ethernet cable (as suggested next to the enable/disable radio buttons. My wireless printer light turned on and stayed on. I was now connected again!!

10. I don't think this was a critical step, but I also set up the ePrint mobile printing

11. I printed another configuration page, and could now see the following:

Newtwork in Use: Wireless

IP Address: 192.168.1.115

12. I could now navigate back into the printer through my browser using that IP and was able to find and print to my printer wirelessly through my phone, but was still unable to print from my laptop wirelessly. 

13. I inserted the original install CD, held my breath and clicked install. Holding your breath here is optional.

14. It asked how I wanted to connect, and as before I choose wirelessly. This time instead of asking me to connect the USB, it FOUND my printer on the network! I selected it, clicked continue and everything successfully installed!

Everything is now back to normal! I can use my printer wirelessly once again. PLEASE let me know if anyone needs more clarification on the above steps, or if something doesn't work for you because there is no other solution out there. Trust me, I spent HOURS AND HOURS looking. I hope this helps some of you!

Cheers,

Kirk

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.