Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw which I managed to connect to my desktop once. It is connected on my wireless network. For some unknown reason, it recently failed and I have spent hours trying to re-install the drivers to no avail. The install program will not recognize or find the printer wirelessly and when I use a USB cable, the software displays an error after a very long install which must be cancelled as there is no other option to clear the error at the 99% mark. There was no installlation CD with the printer (bought new). Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Gemini02, thanks for the post but you didn't have enough info (my fault). The HP Installer errors out at the 99% install mark stating that it took too much time. I have the same drivers that you indicated and attempted your fix to no avail. The Installer cannot even see the printer on the network on a normal attempt whereas Windows Add Printer recognizes it right away. I have given up on the HP Installer that never really worked well even on the first install and have let Windows install it using the extracted HP driver files. As for the scanner, I have also let Windows install and though I cannot use the HP interface, the Windows generic works as well.

For your info, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a HP P6820 with a Pentium Dual Core E6800 @ 3.33 GHz CPU, 4 GB of RAM. The printer is less than 6 months old and has caused regular install issues with the HP installed software such as disappearing from the active list of printers.

Thanks for your assistance but I'll stick with the Windows install instead of the HP Installer.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @Firefighter651 ,

I see that you are having issues installing the printer as a USB connection and Wireless connection. I will certainly do my best to help you.

I believe after connecting the USB for the initial setup, the Universal Driver is being installed instead of the Laserjet driver, which is causing this error. Please follow the steps below to see if we can get you up and running.

Check the connections in the Device Manager for any printer entries, under Universal Serial Bus Controllers look for USB Printing Support or anything with a yellow exclamation mark, mass storage device or unknown device. Right click and uninstall the device. How do I get into Windows Device Manager?

Disconnect the USB cable.

Download the latest drivers. HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127/128 Series Full Software and Drivers.

Perform a clean boot before installing the software again. How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

Right after connecting the USB cable, follow this document immediately so you won't get the Fatal error again. A Fatal Error Displays During Software Installation. After this is done the installation should continue. Then you can configure the wireless.

Test the printer.

Then you will have to go back and enable the Startup programs and turn the Antivirus Software back on again.

If you need further assistance, just let me know.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Gemini02, thanks for the post but you didn't have enough info (my fault). The HP Installer errors out at the 99% install mark stating that it took too much time. I have the same drivers that you indicated and attempted your fix to no avail. The Installer cannot even see the printer on the network on a normal attempt whereas Windows Add Printer recognizes it right away. I have given up on the HP Installer that never really worked well even on the first install and have let Windows install it using the extracted HP driver files. As for the scanner, I have also let Windows install and though I cannot use the HP interface, the Windows generic works as well.

For your info, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium on a HP P6820 with a Pentium Dual Core E6800 @ 3.33 GHz CPU, 4 GB of RAM. The printer is less than 6 months old and has caused regular install issues with the HP installed software such as disappearing from the active list of printers.

Thanks for your assistance but I'll stick with the Windows install instead of the HP Installer.

HP Recommended

Hi,

just yesterday I've bought a new HP M127fw.

I have connected succesefully to my wifi router but i'm not able to install it on my pc.

My notebook is a Compaq Presario CQ60 with Windows Vista.

The installation software start but it does note recognize the printer via wifi.

Even connecting the printer with USB cable to configure the wireless connection doesn't work fine.

I've tried with all the step in the HP Customer Support page but the printer still not works

I'm able to open the web configuration page of the printer and it seems that there is no issue in the wireless connection.

Can anyone help me?

ThankYou in advance

HP Recommended

Hi @El_Sup,

I understand that you are having issues with installing the printer. It isn't being detected by the wireless connection, but you can access the printer's Embedded Web Server.  I would like to help you out today.

Download and run the Print and Scan Doctor, it will diagnose the issue and might automatically resolve it.

If you are still having issues, check the network IPv4 address on the computer to see if the first 3 sets of numbers match the printer's IPv4 address.

Press the Windows key and R at the same time, to show the run command line, type cmd, then type Ipconfig.
Check the IPv4 address.
Now check the IPv4 address for the printer.
Do the first 3 sets of numbers match?

If not, then the printer and the computer aren't on the same network.

Try and ping the printer.
In the same window type ping IPv4 address of the printer. (space in between ping and the IP)
Do you get any replies back?

What were the results when you ran the Print and Scan Doctor? (did it print or scan, any error messages)

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below.

If you have any issues, please let me know what steps you have taken and the results. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi,
first of all I would thank You for your suggestions.
In the meanwhile I've solved my issue disabling the WPS protection on my Sitecom Modem/Router.
Doing so the software still doesn't recognize the printer automatically but if I perform the search using the  IP address my printer appears in the result list.
On a PC with Windows Vista the installation process ended up succesfully but on a pc with Windows XP the software has terminated with a generic error even if it seems that the printer is working properly  
Anyway I'll try your suggestions too and I will let You know how it is gone

Thank You once again

Claudio

HP Recommended

Hi,

I hope sow enjoy with try this, an solve all your problems :

Download NetFrameWork 3.5.1 SP1 from : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22

update NetFrameWork versions do you have.

Restart PC, enjoy install (with USB option, unplug USB !).

Good Luck.

NS

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with the M128fw on a dell xps 13 running on windows 10 64 bit.

The installer (and HP print and scan doctor) does not detect the printer on the network; I can see the printer on the router's DHCP client list and on the print and scan doctors wireless info. I can also ping the printer from my pc.  setting up a "new wireless connection" during the install process using a usb also does not work as the installer loses connection with the printer. I also tried after disabling WPS on my router as another user had suggested. I have repeated this process at least 20 times (after complete uninstall each time) with no success. 

I am able to easily install the printer using the windows wizard, but then the scan function does not work wirelessly.

This is quite frustrating. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Welcome @gkg2010,

Thanks for participating in the forums! I see you are experiencing issues getting the printer recognized by the computer over the wireless network. I would be happy to help you. 

Please try the steps in this document to see if they may help with this situation: Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup .

If you are still having issue, restore the printer's default settings and try the following:

I would disconnect the USB cable, then uninstall the software.

Perform a clean boot on the computer and turn off the Antivirus Software: How to perform a clean boot.

Then run the installation again. Immediately after connecting the USB cable, follow the steps in this document: A Fatal Error Displays During Software Installation. This should resolve this error message.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Cheers!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you Gemini02.

I tried everything that you suggested several times over, but to no avail. During the installation process, the computer loses connection with the printer every time ("no devices found").

I have now installed the full software in the usb mode. I can see the printer on my network, access it through its ip address on the browser. The ip address shows up in the printer toolbox as well. 

Can you please help me reconfigure this to wireless mode?

Thanks for your help

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.