Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, but Im using windows 8 Pro 64bit. I just looked at services.msc, and my problem may be related to this : when I see the dependencies on WIA I only have Remote Procedure Call RPC with  DCOM Service Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper listed under it, but Shell Harward Detection is not listed. This may be the issue, because I can scan with the hew app for windows 8 called HP Printer Control, but I cant make any software that uses WIA to interact with my MFP and the tray icon always says " scanning to PC is not available (escanear al ordenador actualmente no está disponible - im in Mexico - in spanish). Also, trying to send a scan from the printer panel, does not find my computer. Even though I know this has nothing to do with the problem, I have a dualboot system, with windows 7 ultimate and windows8 Pro, and when I log into windows 7 everything works fine. I've installed and uninstalled everything 3 or 4 times. Everytime I have disabled Eset Smart Security firewall, created policies for everything related to HP, and the 8600 Plus is set to DMZ in the router's firewall. There has not been any combination of probabilities I havent tried, and still the WIA in windows 8 wont work. Im able to print from every pc in my network, but It wont scan in windows 8 from WIA for some reason. Any help? I've been trying this for MONTHS. thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi Edward_Alvrea,

Below is a screenshot which I beleive you are addressing in this post. Please let me know if this is the error message you are speaking about?

Does the printer function properly (print, scan & copy) without any problems?

Do you have the Full Feature software and driver installed?

1.JPG

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

No. Sorry if I didnt make myself clear and misleaded you. The printer is totally installed. I have the full feature driver running (OJ8600_1315.exe - 117MB). I can print, system properties says its totally fine but this is the message I get when trying to scan from anything via WIA.scanning2pcnotav.jpg

the same image of a scaner with a red x appears as an Icon in the system tray.  Then I read your solution and went to servicees.smc and got the properties for WIA, and here is where I found something different to what you said must be in the dependencies tab: I only got the rpc procedure with DCOM service process launcher and RPC endpoint manager, but no Shell Hardware Detection listed on it. 

WIA properties.jpg

Then I went to system properties and double checked the system recognizes the printer and the scanner, so this is what it looks like: everything is well recognized by windows and says theres no problem with the drivers.

I've installed and uninstalled the driver above for about 4 or 5 times with no success; opened every port needed in firewall; My MFP is in the DMZ listed in my router; i ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor and it recognizes the network printer. When I select "repair scanning (reparar el escaneo)" function, this is what I get.. when the tests are running every warning yellow triangle is a red circle with an x and changes to triangle after clicking in "skip" ("omitir" in the capture screen).

Thanks for your support in advance, and I apologize about having to translate everything.HPPSdr_tests.jpg

properties.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi Edward_Alvarez,

It appears that the issue you are fighting has to do with the operating system. Follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall the printer.

Uninstall printer:

1. Open Control Panel

2. Click on Uninstall a program

3. Uninstall the Officejet 8600 from the list

4. Reboot your computer

To do a Windows 8 Refresh:

1. Hold your mouse in the bottom or top right of the screen (if you have a touch screen, you can slide you finger from the right of the screen to the left) to bring up the Charms bar.
  2. Click on Settings.
  3. Click on "Change computer setting" at the bottom.
  4. Click on General.
  5. Scroll down to "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" and click on "Get Started".
  6. That should start a Wizard that will take you through the Refresh process. 

Install the printer back to your computer:

1. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

Current Adobe Flash Player

6. Download the full feature software and drivers, and then reinstall the printer.

HP Officejet Pro Full Feature Software and Driver

Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Ok, sorry for the delay, but actually the solution is responsible for this... I follow your advice, and did the refresh thing.... It uninstalled everything except my OS, so I lost this page and then I started installing programs and of course the printer.

I came out that the printer and scanner worked flawlessly after this... but only for a day. I just discovered that it stopped working when I tried to install ESET Smart Security and disabled Windows Defender and/or Windows Firewall. So I did not installed ESS and reenabled both windows programs... That made the scanner work again. Thought I could live with that and keep my pc "safe" just with MS bundled software, but as right now that I started my pc for the first time after leaving it with that software (just installed Adobe Creative suite and office 2013 without problems involved with the mfp) and, right now... the crossed scanner icon appeared again in my system tray... and the printer cannot comunicate again with the pc...  sad but true... hope someone hits the jackpot with this. I havent :(:smileysad:

HP Recommended
Just guessing.... maybe some of the windows updates installed before shut down may be responsible for it... and guess I should have to do the process again, installing every update manually until I find the one that breaks down communication between pc and printer and make that icon appear in the system tray. 😞 I'll try it and come again with the story 😞
HP Recommended

Well, so here I am again, with the conclusion of this my eternal quest....

After uninstalling and going over about 6 updates... I thought maybe... something related with images could be the problem... so I stoppoed uninstalling windows updates, except windows camera drivers update... it wasnt that one. Finally I uninstalled two logitech apps: Logitech Vid HD and logitech webcam software... dont know which one did the trick cause I uninstalled it both at once without rebooting between them. Suddenly, after restart, officejet 8600 plus communicate with my pc... Now I have installed ESET Smart Security, which scared me trough the installation process, cause for a moment, 2 o r 3 secs while it was updating the connections protocol for protection, a message globe appeared saying " scanning from 8600 is not available anymore" I was terrified, but.. after 4 secs, the message and my nightmare icion ( the redcrossed scanner) dissapeared again.

I can live without the logitech software, so there wont be any need to investigate if they come up with a win8 update for thier programs.. I dont care as between using a hardware for fun (cam)  or a hardware for productivity (scanner) I lean to the MFP side.. not to mention the cam works flawlessly without the logitech software..

Now Im fully protected and my scanner working 😄

Such a shame I had to go trough refreshing my pc, which wasnt really necessary, but hey... someday I will recover my firefox bookmarks and sites passwords hehe.

Thanks  to everyone who gave me hints and mantain calmed while I was about to explode in this topic 🙂 Guess this may stay for future references. For me Problem solved.   :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

Hi Edward_Alvarez,

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

This worked but not right away. Scan Doctor finally did a clean test but when I would try to print it would say communication error. After several attempts it finally started working (not sure that I did anything special, just kept trying to scan a document.

Adding solution that worked for me here since my "it worked for me" post doesn't seem to point back to what actually worked.

Solution posted by rank1sttech:
start->run->type "services.msc" no quotes->enter
Locate the "Windows Image Acquisition" service
Double click on it.
click the "Logon"
Check "Local sytem account"
check "Allow service to interact with desktop"
click "apply"
click "ok"
click "restart" up on the top left to restart the Windows Image Acquistion service.
Should be able to scan now.

HP Recommended

please continue to help re: HP Officejet Pro 8600 won't print...I am running Windows 7 32 bit.  I've reviewed and print many of these suggestions and even thought I'd download the HP assistance with printer utilities, but I'm not the administrator.  I purchased the HP 8600, love it's printing and faxing, but for the life of me I can't get it to be noticed by my Dell with Windows 7.  Very frustrated.  Not completely a novice on computers, no problems following many of the recommendations re: WIA, but everything checked out, except I had 2 RPC's, one network and one local.  And tried changing the local to manual and then automatic, no dice. 

randak1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.