Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

On the front of the printer: Setup [Scan] > Wireless > Restore Defaults.  Now, in the same Wireless menu, start WPS (Pushbutton method). 

Within 2 minutes of doing that, press the WPS button on the router.  In another couple of minutes, the printer should be connected to your wireless network.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

please help.  i have an hp photosmart c4780 and i have been going through these forums for a couple hours now trying to troubleshoot.  i am on a mac with os x 10.9 maverick, and i moved recently, and switched my ISP from verizon to time warner cable.  i am using my own wifi router, a netgear WNR2000v4.  i tried everything, and i can't even get the driver software installed on my macbook because theres no place to download it, and my mac update says there are no updates via the app store.  i tried uninstalling the hp software and now i can't find anywhere to reinstall it.  i have restarted my modem, my computer,  and tried the final suggestion someone left with searching for the network via the printer, and hitting the wps button on my modem.  still nothing. 

HP Recommended

Hello kdog3571.

I understand your are experiencing issues connecting your Photosmart C4780. Since you switched routers, have you updated this information onto your printer?

Please print a Network Configuration page to verify if your printer is connected to your new router. Follow these steps on your touch screen:

1) Press the scan button

2) Touch Wireless menu

3) Touch Print Network Configuration Page

The crucial thing to look for is a IP address and making sure it's showing your Network name (SSID).

If this page has a IP address, then follow this HP document on Accessing the HP Embedded Web Server. Let me know if you are able to access this page or not.

Maverick 10.9 Operating System is still "new" which is why I am going to recommend this website: 10.9 Mavericks: Installing Printer software. This website will give you options on how to install your printer if you have already preformed an Apple Software update on your computer.

If you have any further question please let me know.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I was having having trouble with my HP C6150 connecting to the WiFi with the same symptoms as many people in this forum (printer indicating MAC filtering being an issue). This started after my husband mucked with the router setting but I only noticed it many days later. He didn't remember what he had changed since he was trying to resolve conflicts we were having with our neighbors. Our router is Airport Extreme.

Anyhow, in the end, the router's Radio Mode (under the Wireless Options) page was set to "802.11n only (2.4GHz)" but it needed to be in "802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)".

Perhaps this solution will help a few others out there.

HP Recommended
Sorry it took so long for my response I've been so busy. Anyways, I've tried everything that you said and still nothing. I'm not sure if you read this in my first question, but there's no hp software installed on my computer. It's just gone. There used to be a little icon in my dock and now there's a question mark in the place of the icon. My printer sees my wifi connection when I print out my network config page, but there is no IP address for the printer. How do I get the hp software back onto my computer, and how do I get the printer to connect to my network if it sees it ?
HP Recommended

I replaced my router today and have spent hours trying to get my C4780 printer to work.  The new router is an ASUS RT-N66U.  I've tried everything I've seen in this message thread, including uninstalling an reinstalling the software several times, resetting the wireless settings on the printer to factory defaults, etc.  I've disabled anti-virus software as instructed.  Every time I try to set the printer up as instructed with a USB cable, it gets to the network setup screen, says the printer has been detected, gets to task 6 of 8 and then just hangs with the message "Waiting for printer setup to finish.  This may take several minutes".  It never finishes.  If I stop it early it throws me into an endless failed install/reboot loop which results in me having to uninstall the software again to get out of.  If I wait, it eventually fails and says "Printer setup has failed to complete" and gives me the option to continue without connecting to the printer.  I can't believe a simple router upgrade can be so difficult.

When I print the wireless network test report, it finds 10-15 networks, with my new ASUS on the top of the list.  But if I go in to configure the printer for the network, it finds NO wireless networks.  Any other ideas before I dump the C4780 in the recycle bin and buy a non-HP brand printer?

HP Recommended

I have a similar challenge exept that my computer and printer were seeming to communicate until today.  although on startup of the printer it would consistenely give an reading error reading that there was an error with the printer.   

If I turned  it off and on again,  it would then print.  I have had this printer operating like this for a month.  I turned on my computer and printer today and there is no communication between devices.  Both are showing and using the wifi independently and the internet   I have a HP Photosmart 7520. 

I am on my second unit as  took the prior one back for the same error code everytime I turned it on kept displaying the same error message.  I corrected the error message by updating on line and reinstalling or trying to have them both connected via the online download.  Now while the set up is trying to locate the printer to try and have them connect or find the printer it is not locating any.  It keeps getting the error that it is not able to find or detect, even when I manually put in the IP address. ??? Says it cannot locate.

I have deleted and reistalled about 4 times.  Same result. They were communicating up until last night when I shut them both down.  As stated. I reinstalled everything numerous times and both are connected to the internet independently. 

and seem to be working fine on their own.  I can access the internet from my desktop and also access the internet from the printer.  Perhaps the printer is faulty.  Same model, same place of purchase.  It took one back for the error message yet it was printing fine.

The Newwork test results are all passing

Wireless

-wireless on  pass

-wireless working  Pass

-signal quality  Excellent

Connectivity

-connected Pass

-Disconnect count total 3

-Disconnect count last hour 2

-Disconnect count last 24 hours 2

Network

-Network Name  (SSID) Found  Pass

-Other Networks detected matching your network name (SSID)  No

-Wireless networks detected 6

Settings

-Printer settings consistent with wireless router settings Pass

-No filtering Pass

-Channel 1

-Security Pass

Network name    This is correct

Harware address (there are a series of numbers yet I am not sure what this is for or how to use the #'s)

IP address (interesting enough the one time it did link on with the IP, it was a printer that I used to have, an Old Ink Jet)  I got the IP right off the new printer display as well as it being here on the print out.

Configuration source

Communication mode  Infrastructue

Authentication type   WPA-PSK

Ecryption  Automatic (AES or TKIP)

Internet  connected

If anyone can assist, I would appreciate the help.  I tried everything the troubleshooting/installation guide that came with the printer has recommended.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

I want to add that I also connected the computer with the USB cable to try and locate.  It did one time and printed a half paper.  Then I unhooked without it connecting again.   I connected the cable when I donwloaded and tried to install them and connect them via the on line.  All systems are go until I try and connec the printer and my Mac.  Now even with the cable it is not detecting the printer.  ???

HP Recommended

Hope this helps for those with C4780 or similar. Before proceeding, make sure to write down your router wireless settings. (Please note: this was done on MacOSX 10.9)

1. On printer, go to Scan > Wireless Menu > Wireless Settings > Restore Network Settings.
  2. On printer, Print Network Configuration page. From the details, go to the router settings and rename SSID to the default printer’s SSID (e.g. SigmaplusEOL1). Also, turn off any wireless security.
  3. On printer, you should see the signal bar now. Print Network Configuration page again. In General Information section, type in printer’s URL on web browser.
  4. In printer’s portal site, go to Network tab > Connections > Wireless (802.11) > Wireless Setup. Configure settings exactly as what it was originally before (SSID and WEP password). Click Apply/Confirm.
  5. Go back to router setup and put back original SSID and WEP settings. Save settings.
  6. On MacOSX, go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners. Click + to add printer…should see a listing for the network printer – click on it.
  7. Click on +, the HP printer should also say Bonjour as “Kind”. Set as default printer.

Now the printer is working on my wi-fi network without USB connection. Unfortunately, HP "partially" sunset the Mac support for previous models.

HP Recommended

Hello thirst_strong,

You don´t have experince with this setup using OSX 10.10 Yosemite?

Having trouble when i will change the SSID and WEP password in the printer portal (step 4). The portal doesn´t load up when i klick Apply/Confirm. So i get stucked there, and can´t complete the setup.

Any suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.