Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Neries wrote:

The alignment does not depend on the computer's software, it is completed automatically by the printer.  It requires that black and color are properly printing or it will fail.  In your case black failing to print would cause the alignment to fail as well. 

I would suggest three levels of printhead cleaning from the toolbox or front panel.  If this does not resolve the issue your printer likely requires service or replacement.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

The first and foremost remedial action you should take, before trying anything else, is the "Baby Burping" technique that is extensively discussed within this thread.  If you've taken the time to read through the vast number of entries (can you really  believe that this dire machine now has 22 pages of entries from disgruntled HP customers?!  HP: are you embarrassed?  You sure as hell should be!) you will know that this bizarre treatment has worked for C7280 owners over and over again.

Disconnect the machine and turn it over on its top.  Slap the bottom of the machine with both hands continuously for at least two minutes.  Yes, I did say "bizarre" and, no, it's not April Fools Day.

It has worked for many C7280 owners, including myself.  It hasn't [yet] gone wrong again.

If that doesn't work then try other suggested solutions, but try this first.

HP Recommended

Thanks both for your replies.

I have read ALL the post and yes we have done the baby burp and about to do it again plus giving the printer a good shaking too while it's upside down. Tried a thickish sewing needles through the top & bottom pipes but hubby has found it only goes in about 1/2 inch before it seems to hit something solid, so not sure he can use a syrynge to inject some ink cartridge flush. He has tried compressed air into pipes from a small aerosole can called Air Duster. I have done all the shutting down and resetting the printer which are listed in the thread. I have tried two new black cartridges and done about 30 or more printhead cleans, some using the software on my H.P. p.c. and others using the menu on the printer.

Hubby is talking about taking it apart, but I don't particularly want him to go down that route. I use the printer mostly for 'print & cut' together with my die cutting machine for paper/card crafting. The software adds registration marks in black to my print out so when I put it on a sticky mat into my cutting machine it reads the registration marks and  cuts in the right place around images.

HP Recommended

04/21/2013 - Problem:

Black Ink won't print HP Photosmart C7280

Unplug the machine, turn it upside down, and start tapping the bottom of the printer. Then turn it back over, remove the black ink cartridge, and then turn it back over with the black cartridge still removed, and tap the printer on the metal bottom for another minute or two.

Replace the black cartridge, plug it in, and run the cleaning head process, some times you will need to run this cleaning process more than ones.

This solve my entire problem !!!

Thanks for all your tips...

HP Recommended

GarenT, you have responded now several times to this query but so far have said nothing of use. I would think that anyone that is frustrated enough to go to the forums for help would have already tried cleaning the print head and changing the ink. I know you are supposed to be the admin but please, if you don't know the answer then join the rest of us by not taking up space in the answers. This is a very aggravating issue for alot of us and I would love to see an actual answer not just a cookie cutter "did you try cleaning it? Did you try new ink?" It's hard enough to read through all the answers without having to read this same old answer time and time again that really serves noone.

HP Recommended

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums.

Just a reminder that this is a peer-to-peer community of HP customers, and not a venue to contact HP directly. Most of the users here are consumers like yourself who are offering solutions because they like to help others, and any HP employees you see are here on their own capacity and not representing the company.

If you have additional or direct feedback for HP about their products or services, or questions about repair, you can use the link below for contact information.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

If you have other questions and concerns about using the forum, please feel free to send me a private message.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OrnahP
HP Support Forums Moderator

🙂 Clicking the "Kudos Star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!
🙂 When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking "Accept as Solution" to help other members in the future!
Rules of Participation

HP Recommended

Well we have tried ALL the suggestions from this very long thread and black still will not print. With exception of me letting hubby take it apart.  Wasted loads of ink too.

So one useless two year old HP printer. Good thing I kept my older HP D5610 printer which I have gone back to use. I have learned that HP printers which take one tri-colour and one black cartridge will last years, although not very economical to use.

HP Recommended

Yup- My 2nd C7280 printer died as well due to stalled pump issue- My recommended solution there is- buy Canon MG3150 Printer for 40 quid/dollars - you can find it in any big retailer shop and it costs about the price of new inks. Sick of HP- My first HP laptop died due to Nvidia 7xxx serie issue, 2nd one (dv7-2055) that I'm writing on has a dead battery after 2 years of use and my graphic card is already dying after turning on any 3D game. Plus  C7280 printers dead- will definietly check other brands before I will go HP again. Hope it wont be the same with other brands but might be - as now-a-days they use cheap parts everywhere to pin the price down and to rise sales having people coming back again because their old gear is dead. Hope it helped... Abandon hope, be a part of the system... and for that you must keep your cash moving.

HP Recommended

I have an HP Photosmart C4750 and have used it for years without a problem.  Today, while changing the black ink, it stopped printing in black.  I read the comments and tried moistening the ink part of the cartridge with a damp paper towel.  I did this three different times, each print was progressively better.  I am now printing black!

HP Recommended
The C4750 uses a completely different ink cartridge and delivery system so, I'm sorry, but your experience is of no value to C7280 printer owners.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.