Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I am responding to the question about if I found a better printer to replace my HP 8500 with. I purchased a Brother J6910DW from Staples for $179.99. It has all the same features as the HP but also prints on ledger paper. As far as a better way to refill print cartridges, check this out: http://www.inkowl.com/index.php?S=25&B=1&product=4014&p=product. With these large cartridges and the ability to refill them without even removing them is great. I have had the printer for about a month and love it. If you want to compare print quality just go to Staples and print on each one and compare. 

I took my HP printer to the local landfill. They accept electronics for recycle. 

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your information.  Coincidentally I actually did purchase the ciss from inkowl.  I had bad print heads I found out.  Another 75.00 for the two print heads!!!  So for now, I am giving my hp a second chance.  I still don't like the fact that hp actually has a ciss system, but is keeping it hush hush.  That way people can buy the exorbitant print cartridges!  I am trying not to support hp products anymore.  Thanks again for your information.

HP Recommended

A million thank you's. I have been using Epson printers for years but even with a CISS the print heads clog. You've help me decide to go with Brothers. The HP's look cheaply made.

HP Recommended

This is the LAST time I will ever buy an HP product. HP trying to FORCE people to waste money and physical resources to buy their **bleep**ty replacement ink cartridges when it is a well known fact that refilling your own cartridges is more cost effective for the consumer, and more resource effective for society as a whole.

What an absolute crock of **bleep**.

If you refill your cartridge on an HP 8500 the printer spams your screen with error message windows whenever the printer is online even if you're not actively using the printer. The message is HP trying to rationalize **bleep**ing over their customers by saying "HP will not cover printers under warranty that are using refilled cartridges." If there exists the technology for the printer to distinguish when a cartridge has been refilled (obviously they can) than that information should be used to make sure that people cannot make warranty claims if they refill their ink. However, I (as well as MANY other people) are willing to give up the warranty support to avoid being **bleep**ED {Content Removed: Language} by this printer company trying to FORCE you to buy their OVER PRICED, WASTE OF RESOURCE ink cartridges. I can refill my cartridges for LESS THAN $1 each- HP is FORCING their customers to buy their ink refills at $30-$50 EACH.

I will _NEVER_ buy an HP product again, and it is now my personal mission to ensure that anyone doing research online considering buying an HP product will KNOW THAT HP IS TRYING TO **bleep** ALL THEIR CUSTOMERS

Congratulations HP- worst move in printer manufacturing history

The ONLY way HP can reconcile this absolute joke of a business move would be a firmware update that removes this garbage paramter that takes a good printer and turns it into a uselss piece of **bleep** MONEY PIT

HP Recommended

A quote from the HP website:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01980797

"HP recommends that you use genuine HP cartridges. Genuine HP cartridges are designed and tested with HP printers to help you easily produce great results, time after time. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP supplies. Warranty will not cover product service or repairs required as a result of using a non-HP ink supply. HP recommends that you make sure that you are using genuine HP cartridges before continuing."

Does anywhere in there say that if you choose to forgoe your warranty privelages and refill your ink cartridges, that the printer locks you out and you are unable to use the printer again until you buckle and buy their $40 cartridge containing $0.25-$1 worth of ink?

"HP recommends that you make sure that you are using genuine HP cartridges before continuing."

No. HP _FORCES_ you to insert a new hp cartridge before continuing. The printer locks you out, and if it is connected to your network it spams your computer periodically and repeatedly with error messages. 

The HP 8500 is a great printer, it is only the pure GREED of HP that ruins the whole gig

Imagine if the printer had a sticker on it that said "CANNOT REFILL INK CARTRIDGES: ANY ATTEMPT TO DO SO WILL LOCK YOU OUT OF THE PRINTER AND SPAM YOUR COMPUTER UNTIL YOU BUCKLE AND SPEND $40 FOR $1 WORTH OF INK" ... that would be marketting the TRUTH, and I don't think many people would buy the printer given so many other options in the same price range without the hidden restriction.

I personally paid ~$150-$170 retail at BestBuy for my HP 8500. I went there today to explain the situation to them. The two guys in geek squad that I talked to both agreed that it was retarded, and shady, but there was nothing they could do but refer me to HP customer service because I bought the printer more than 30 days ago (I got it ~90 days ago and have hardly used it until I needed to use it for a business launch recently).

I will contact HP directly tomorrow and keep this thread informed on this topic. I don't want anyone else who has been doing the blatantly obvious and logical practice of refilling their ink cartridges for years to mistakenly buy an HP product ever again.

cheers.

HP Recommended

how do I reset my hewlett Packard printer to print after changing new ink cartridges? it is a HP photosmart D7160

HP Recommended
Re: How do I reset the 940 ink cartridge chip on Officejet Pro 8500 Premier?
HP Recommended

We bought 5 - 8500s for our department and after dropping several hundreds of dollars on ink I have instructed our IT people to never buy another HP product as using replacements cartridges only work for a short time before the printer figures it out and stops printing.  I understand that Brother doesn't do this to their valued customers but we will check before we buy by the end of the year.

HP insists to not put in refilled cartridges or to refill the cartridges ourselves and we all know why ..Because it could cause damage to the printer('s company bottom line).  They chose profits over customer satisfaction and we are done with them.

HP Recommended

It is foolish ness to but HP printers its 940 ink is too costly not fit for indian market. It is adviced not buy than to regret later.

HP Recommended

how do I reset cartridge chip on a 740 cartridge?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.