Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have an OfficeJet 6700. I need to scan large two-sided multi-page documents, and want to use the auto feeder. I don't see any way in the provided software to be able to scan one side of a stack of pages, flip them over manually, and then scan the other side, and have the pages collated into a single document. It seems to me like this would be a fairly common business need, and also a fairly easy task for software to carry out (just put every second page in order - basically the reverse of manually printing on two sides) so it makes me think I must be missing something. Can anyone help please?

Thanks very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello MN42

The Officejet 6700 does not have a duplex ADF to let you scan a two-sided document. Duplex copy/scanning is only supported from the glass on the model.

I would suggest looking at purchasing an Officejet Pro series printer (such as the Officejet Pro 8600 N911g) if you are looking for scanning two-sided documents through the ADF. You can also look for third party software that supports what you are looking for.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hello MN42

Printing duplex and scanning duplex are two completely different things and rely on two different hardware components. The back of the printer has a duplexing unit for flipping the page while printing. In order to scan duplexed documents "automatically" you need to have an Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) that supports duplexing as well.

As per your inquiry, if you scan from the Officejet 6700 software you can flip the pages manually from the flat bed into a single PDF document. See the image below. Let me know if you need any additional assistance.

ScanFlow.png

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

Hi Travis,

Thanks very much for your reply. I understand the difference between duplex scanning and printing, and that I could scan a whole document page by page manually.

What I am asking, though, is if there is some way to scan a multi-page double sided document using the auto feeder. If I have, say, a 40 page double sided document, that is going to take a long time to scan page by page manually using the scanner bed (80 manual scans).

As far as I can see, this would be an easy software application. You would put your document in the auto feeder and it would scan the first side of all the pages. You would then take the stack out, flip it, put it in the auto feeder, and scan the second side of all the pages. The software would then add each first and second page together from the two scans to get it into the right order and you would have the whole document.

Is there any software out there that would do this task on the 6700? I got this printer/scanner to save time for my business, and this is one of the primary tasks I need it for.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello MN42

The Officejet 6700 does not have a duplex ADF to let you scan a two-sided document. Duplex copy/scanning is only supported from the glass on the model.

I would suggest looking at purchasing an Officejet Pro series printer (such as the Officejet Pro 8600 N911g) if you are looking for scanning two-sided documents through the ADF. You can also look for third party software that supports what you are looking for.

HP Recommended

I agree that it is very strange that there is no automatic way to scan many-paged double-sided documents other than manually on the 6700 Premium HP Officejet .  Is there not an app for this?  

HP Recommended
I have just upgraded from a 6100 to a 6700, and the software is different. I have scanned multiple documents in random order, and unlike the previous software, HP Solution Center, I cannot find a way to re-arrange the documents before saving??

HP Recommended

Hello beckylousiana

There are several models of the Officejet 6100 series printers. Which one did you have in particular?

Could you please provide more details on what you mean by rearranging the scans? Was this done from a third party application?

HP Recommended

HP Officejet  6110 All-in-one, 

I scanned documents out of order, (front and back copies) and before saving, I would like to rearrange the documents, but  cannot see that feature on the new software provided with the 6700. In the Solutions Center, it gave me an option to re-arrange the pages before saving. I have tried to possibly add this new printer 6700 to my older software, HP Solutions Center, but cannot figure out how to do it,.,

THANX!

HP Recommended

Hello beckylousiana

The software for the Officejet 6700 does not have the capability to rearrange the pages before saving them to PDF files as the Officejet 6110 did.

I suggest searching your favorite search engine for a third party software that offers rearranging page orders before saving them.

According to the chart on softi Software ScanWiz has the ability to reorder pages of a scanned document.

Softi products feature comparison

HP Recommended

Wow.. So I cannot add the 6700 printer to my HP Solutions program. i will try the 3rd party software and hope for the best. I am disappointed, I was thinking I was upgrading. Thanx!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.