Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I recently upgraded my operating system to Windows 7, 64 bit (4 gb of RAM). since then my local USB LaserJet 1320 will only print one copy of any document I send to it, regardless of the number of copies I request. This seems to happen no matter what program I am working in (Word, etc). Also when printing a multi-page document, there is a noticable pause between pages.

I have updated my drivers (PCL 5), tried PCL 6 and UPD for 5 and 6.

Thank you in advance for any guidance. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial printer. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/

I have provided the Product Support & Troubleshooting for your printer. Select your model from the list.

I hope this helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I had the same issue when going to Windows 7 64 bit with my Laserjet 1320 connected by USB cable.  At first, I could print duplex but not multiple copies.  After resolving the multiple copy issue, I could no longer print duplex.  After trying all solutions I could find suggested, I combined 2 and was able to resolve both issues.  Here's what worked:

Installing the Correct Driver

1.  Go to Control Pamel> Devices & Printers

2.  Right click on the 1320 Icon and check Remove Device

3. Go here to select and download the driver for Windows 7 64 bit:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL40842/ds-99374-2/upd-pcl6-x64-5.4.0.11744.exe

(Unplugging and then replugging the USB cable into the printer triggered the plug & play automatic download and installation of the driver by Windows 7, but I could not resolve both issues with that driver, so I went to downloading direct from HP)

4.  Select the Traditional Installation Mode for the USB port and complete installation.

5.  Go to Control Panel> Devices and Printers, right-click on the 1320 Icon and check Set As Default Printer.

Printing Multiple Copies

1.  Go to Contol Panel> Devices & Printers

2.  Right-click on the (new) 1320 icon and select Printer Properties (about halfway down the menu list, NOT PROPERTIES AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LIST).

3. Go to the Device Settings tab and scroll down under Installable Options to "Mopier Mode"

4.  Left-click on "Enabled" to the right of Mopier Mode and select "Disabled" from the menu.

5.  At the bottom of the dialog box click on Apply, then OK.

That should allow multiple copies to be printed.  (Apparently Mopier Mode sends one full image of the document to the printer and expects the printer to store and manage the multiple copies.  That doesn't work with the 1320 due to either only 128Kb of storage or some other limitation).

Printing In Duplex

After installing the new driver, I still could not print in duplex.  This resolved the issue:

1.  Go to Control Panel> Devices and Printers.

2.  Right-click on the 1320 icon and select Printer Properties

3.  In the Device Settings tab, scroll down to Installable Options and find "Duplex Unit (for 2 sided printing)"

(this shoud be set to Installed:  mine was but duplex wasn't working)

4.  Left-click on "Installed" to the right of "Duplex Unit" and select "Not Installed"

5.  At the bottom of the dialog box, click on Apply, then OK.

6.  Once again go to Control Panel> Devices and Printers, right click on the 1320 icon and select Printer Properties.

7.  Go again to the Devices tab and Duplex Unit: left-click on "Uninstalled" to the right and select "Installed".

8.  At the bottom, click on Apply and then OK.  (At this point I could see the machine was installing the Duplex Unit)

I then tried to print 2 copies of a duplex document.  When I went to File> Print:

• The Printer Name shown was HP Laserjet 1320 series UPD PCL 5.
  • When I clicked on Properties to the right, the Document Properties> Printing Shortcuts Tab opened showing 2 shortcuts:  Factory Defaults (that appeared before) and EconoSmart Settings (that had not appeared before). (EconoSmart settings are essentially duplex to save paper and the Finishing tab is automatically set to "Print on Both Sides").
  • I clicked on the EconoSmart shortcut, clicked OK at the bottom, set the number of copies on the Print dialog to 2 and clicked OK.
  • The result was 2 copies of a two-sided document -- Finally!

So it appears that the Windows 7 plug & play driver installation does not install the Duplex Unit (I tried to go through the "Not Installed/Installed" procedure without success), the direct download puts it on the machine, but the Not Installed/Installed procedure is neccessary to make it functional.  And whether using Plug & Play or download to install the driver, Mopier Mode is set to Enabled by default and must be changed to Disabled in order to print multiple copies.

Hope that saves some others time and frustration in trying to resolve Duplex and Multiple Copy issues.

HP Recommended

I wish to thank to BirdieBob for that post! 

Same issue and resolution for Windows 10 ... !

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.