Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

prabaa,

Thank you, your fix worked great.

wcw1223 

HP Recommended

I have been following this discussion for a long time.  I use windows 7 and for several weeks I thought that my connection problem was solved, that is until I downloaded their laters update two days ago and I loose my connection once or twice a day.  The troubleshoot option does not work nor does opening the HP program and using the add a new printer and typing in the IP address.  The ONLY thing that works is to uninstall the entire program and reinstall from the HP website which is 28.8 I believe.  This is my umteenth HP printer, I like HP printers but this one is just too much trouble.

PLease HP give us a solution other than reinstalling the complete software program a couple of times a day.

Thanks

HP Recommended

I've resolved the intermittent connection problem between a wired ethernet connected HP-8600 Plus, and my HP desktop computer, with the help of HP's support center.  Their help screen on this subject goes through many possible fixes, but it is the last one that has done the trick.  Basically,  I had to reset the desktop computer "Power Options" under the Control Panel, so that the computer NEVER sleeps, or hibernates.  I'm certain that this was the culpret because the connection to the HP-8600 seemed to get interupted at seemingly sporadic times, and the changes I made to the computer's "Power Options" settings have fixed the problem.  Give it a try, and if this changes back to being a problem on my end, I'll let you know.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help.  I think that this is my problem because I just had ato restart my computer and after I restarted I lost my printer connection.  My problem is that I use a loptop and take it with me all of the time.  Therefore a need a fix that will allow me to turn off my computerand maintain my connection aster restarting.

HELP SOMEONE!!!!!

HP Recommended

I found that after I adjusted the "Power Options" to "Never",  that even when I shut down my computer for a time, upon re-start the connection to the printer is just fine.  Try it with you laptop, as I'm guessing it will work just fine.

HP Recommended

my hp software does not have this option and i have the same problem

HP Recommended

I am delighted to confirm that this does cure the problem, I contacted HP helpline on many occasions and I tried so many different cures eventually this one did the trick. It would appear it is Windows XP that causes the problem.

I am now very happy with my  OfficeJet 8660

HP Recommended

I tried a lot of proposed solution changing static IP etc.  They were all good ideas but nothing helped.  I finally solved the problem by installing the K8600 print driver instead of the one targeted for my specific printer.  I have an 8600 pro.  My wireless printing is now working perfectly.  However, wireless scanning is not working.  It says it can't find the computer when I scan but it works fine when I want to print.  This is all a software problem.  It would seem that a little bit of effort by HP would solve thousands of hours wasted by their helpdesk and frutstrated users.  A patch would be a wonderful idea.

HP Recommended
It's a shame HP has not figured out a solution to the various connectivity issues associated with this printer. Seem they simply don't care as this probkem has existed several model's earlier according to sale's persons at Costco.

The printer is definitely a winner when it comes to features; otherwise, I don't think this thread would exists as we all would have returned the printer and switched to a different model, brand, or manufacturer.

If you have the patience, forbearance and preservation you will resolve you issue as many of us have akready done. My issue is different than yours however if you look back through the treads you'll find your answer.

Best of luck. Your answer is in a previous post. Search back through threads and you'll find answer and solution.

My problem and solution is below however it's different than ones XP users were having with print spooler and IE browser...

HP Recommended
I'm experiencing the same problem many experienced. If you have an HP 8600 Pro Plus printer and you cannot print after some period of time elapses then following solution may work for you: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Environment:1) you're using DHCP to assign IP addresses to the printer*. doesn't matter if you're using address reservation or not 2) the printer is connected via wired ( using ethernet cable ) or wireless  network 3) you loose connection to the printera. cannot pingb. cannot printc. cannot access the EWS ( GUI )d. printer address gets reset to 0.0.0.0 or something other than original addressed assigned by DHCP Solution:1) Do not use DHCP to assign addresses ( printer ip address will be lost )2) Assign Static IP addresses3) Log into the EWS ( GUI )a. click on Networkb. Click on Wired ( 802.3 ) or Wireless ( 802.11 ).  Use Wired if you're using actual cable.c. click on IPv4d. select "Manual IP"e. Enter Manual IP Addressf. Enter Manual Subnet Maskg. Enter Manual Default Gatewayh. Select "Manual DNS Server"i. Enter Manual Preferred DNS Serverj. Optional Enter Manual Alternate DNS Server.  This is optional, not required.k. Make sure you click Apply to save your settings This is a temporary workaround until HP can resolve issues with DHCP.On some of the units shipped, not all, IP addresses assigned via DHCP will loose their IP address ( lease ) and the address is reset to 0.0.0.0 or something other than it was initially assigned to.  What you experience is, you cannot print, you cannot ping, the connection is lost. 1) it's a simple solution2) it's easy and quick to configure3) most important it works. 4) took 4 months for HP to provide workaround, but it works. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ History and Background Opened case with HP earlier today 1/26/12. They mentioned they had never seen the problem before. I googled and discovered this thread. The problem I'm having is CANNOT PRINT: " after some period of idle time, the HP 8600 Pro Plus goes to sleep and then loses network connection and it's ip address ( previously assigned via dhcp address reservation ) The problem is reproducible 100% of the time. The problem has occurred on two different HP 8600 Pro Plus printers connected to the exact same ethernet cable and port on the Netgear Router. I don't believe it has anything to do with the ethernet cable, port on router or router as other devices have been connected to the same cable & port and never lost connection. I'm using dhcp with address reservation so the printer is assigned the same ip address every time. EWS ( Embedded Web Server ) : Settings / Scheduled On/Off1) Schedule On/Off is disabled2) Shutdown is disabled What I've observed once the problem occurs: Cannot print ( thats how i first notice there's a problem )Print jobs remain in queue Cannot ping printer via ipCannot access EWS ( webpage ) via ipNetgear router doesn't see the printer as attachedNetgear router see's all other devices attached. The problem occurred on two different HP 8600 Pro Plus ( returned one back to store ) LED on power switch is blinking ( Standby i guess )LCD panel is dark ( blank ) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~IP address loosed : shows 00.00.00.00Go to LCD panel1) Setup2) Network3) View Network Summary4) View Wired Summary5) IP 00.00.00.006) MAC address ok7) Hostname ok8) Print shows same ip address is all 00.00.00.00 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ironically, i can print to printer from my cell phone using ePrint1) send email to printer without attachment = printer prints2) send email to printer with attachment = printer prints attachment But still cannot print from laptop nor access EWS ( GUI ) Workaround:1) power cycle printer2) all jobs in printer queue begin printing3) i can print again ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Can others report on whether or not the link ( green ) LEDight is on or off when the problem is observed.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ There appears to be several problems 1st Problem:1) printer looses connection to network ( ip address on printer is reset to 0.0.0.0 ), both wired & wirless2) use static ip address.  ip addresses assigned by dhcp ( wired or wireless ) loose connection on some of the units sold3) less desirable solution ( use dhcp ); however, you'll have to power cycle printer once connection ( ip address is reset to 0.0.0.0 ) lost  2nd Problem1) cannot print to printer2) power cycle pc or logout and in again on pc or stop and restart certain processes3) i personally didn't have this problem, it's something i read in many of the threads~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.