Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Try 0207 660 0596

Let me know how you get on, they should replace the printer for you....

Cheers, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended
Having read all the helpful replies I just thought I would have go and just rushed to let you know it WORKS ! I turned off the mains . Took out the cartridges ,stuffed a load of kitchen towel under the cartridge carriage and in the abscence of a syringe dropped some window cleaner solution over the black cartridge contact with a turkey baster !
Left it for 10 mins , mopped it all up and the print quality report shows a beautiful black line. Amazing.......
HP Recommended

I've had my printer just over a year, its rarely used and for first time I have changed cartridges and now black ink not working, all other colours fine, genuine HP cartridges used, was working fine before i changed them, tried suggestions on here. Where can I find UK contact details address for HP? thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Can you tell me where you got instructions form to do this please?

Having read all the helpful replies I just thought I would have go and just rushed to let you know it WORKS ! I turned off the mains . Took out the cartridges ,stuffed a load of kitchen towel under the cartridge carriage and in the abscence of a syringe dropped some window cleaner solution over the black cartridge contact with a turkey baster !
Left it for 10 mins , mopped it all up and the print quality report shows a beautiful black line. Amazing.......

HP Recommended

My son just got my printer to print out black ink!!! I had been doing clean print heads but directly from my lap top to the printer and each time nothing printed black , my son did clean print heads but straight on the printer itself through tools. After about 3 cleans its perfect..:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same problem.   And I have only had my printer for a year and 3 months. 

It's very disappointing; the Photosmart that I previously had lasted 5 years without a single problem.  I buy this new one and not only do my ink costs quadruple, but the bloody thing dies after 15 months.  HP is like every other corporation these days --- producting junk in order to make a quick buck.  So much for quality.

HP Recommended

@MissTeriLynn

I am have the same issue!!

My black started fading out.. I didn't know why because I was pretty sure it was just changed out awhile ago.

Well I put in a brand new one, and the same issues everyone else is having started happening.

I print out the Quality test and I see all of the text.. but the black box is empty and not as shown in example.

Also - I dug out the old cartridge from the trash can and shook it around a bit.. I could still hear all of the ink in it! 

I have tried everything anyone as posted in here.

Can you PLEASE help me!?

HP Recommended

Me too. Printer 5520 about two years old - bought because the 5510 failed.  It WILL print black, but with several missing lines (same on the diagnostic print-out).  Changed the HP 364XP cartridge twice and run head-cleaning many times, and used lots of black ink. Cartridge vent checked too.

I don't want to go out and buy a new printer - I want this one to work but without wasting any more expensive HP ink.

Also, why does it sometimes make a noise like a machine-gun?  So did the 5510 - that's why I changed it.

HP Recommended

Hi, MissTeriLynn,

I have been having all the exact same problems as everyone else in this thread regarding the black ink not working in our 5520.  This is the second time I have had this issue - the first time it miraculously resolved itself.  However, now after trying everything (including the document you suggest), it is still not working.  I live in the US.  

Please respond and let me know what HP can do...we JUST replaced all ink thinking this was the issue...clearly, it's not.

Thank you in advance, 

Diana

HP Recommended

THIS WORKED...........

Re: Photosmart 5520 Black ink not working

My son just got my printer to print out black ink!!! I had the same problems as everyone else.. I had been doing clean print heads but directly from my lap top to the printer and each time nothing printed in black ink, my son did clean print heads again but straight on the printer itself through tools on the display screen . After about 3 cleans its perfect..:smileyvery-happy:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.