Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP M125nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I just had to hard-wire two employee's notebook PCs for (LAN Internet access), and setup a M125nw printer using HP Wireless Direct connect to the nearby PCs.

The M125nw manual indicates it supports "Wireless network connection" . But pages 30-32 of the manual give no WLAN setup information.

Is there an option i'm overlooking?   In the printer's configuration,  didn't see a choice to connect the printer the the Wireless LAN.  No auto-setup, no wireless setup wizard,  not auto-find of available SSID/access points to configure.  (the router's WPS doesn't seem to be enabled, i'm investigating, but router locked & secured)

I believe if the WPS feature would function, the printer would be visible to install for my users via WLAN, with Internet, without Ethernet connections.  Correct?

But Surely there is a way to access the WLAN direct from the printer?  To View & select the SSID, enter passphrase, and connect?  Is there with HP Wireless Direct connect set to Off?

Any further advice appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

To connect the printer to a wireless network you should either use WPS if a such supported by the router or configure the wireless connection from a computer, the M125nw do not have a Wireless Setup Wizard option to connect the printer from the printer menu.

Follow these steps to connect the printer to a wireless network through a computer:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-LaserJet-Pro-100-Multifunction-Printer-series/5396664/model/5...

Additionally you refer to HP Wireless Direct, that meant to be used with no router only and only support wireless connected devices.

If I understood your intention correctly and the PCs are connected to your LAN and do not have any wireless capbilities? (I might assume a such from your description? )

such a device cannot to the pritner via HP Wireless Direct, to connect to the printer via HP Wireless Direct the other device must support WiFi too..

For any help you may need, please clarify your network structure.

Do you have a network with wired access only or both wired and WiFi access to that netowrk?

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Shlomil

"... the M125nw do not have a Wireless Setup Wizard option to connect the printer from the printer menu."

-But, can I manually set up this printer for WLAN use? Entering SSID & Passphrase?

"Additionally you refer to HP Wireless Direct, that meant to be used with no router only and only support wireless connected devices."

- I understand.  Direct to one or more device/PC, etc. 

"If I understood your intention correctly and the PCs are connected to your LAN and do not have any wireless capbilities? (I might assume a such from your description? )

such a device cannot to the pritner via HP Wireless Direct, to connect to the printer via HP Wireless Direct the other device must support WiFi too.."

- The notebpook PCs I mentioned Do Have WiFi capability(as they use HP Wireless Direct), and have Ethernet ports, as I indicated.

"For any help you may need, please clarify your network structure.

Do you have a network with wired access only or both wired and WiFi access to that netowrk?"

- This infrastructure includes full wireless access points throught the building, with Ethernet access to the network switch also available in this office.

My objective is, to configure the new HP M125nw so it is visible on the wireless LAN, and users connected & using the WLAN can access it.   There are several other smaller consumer-grade HP 3630 printers visible on the WLAN.  

[The existing HP 3630 printers are all shown in the 'Add Wireless Printer' list, in Windows, when adding a new printer.]

My two users in question are taking their notebook PCs in and out, and their wireless network selection must be manually Re-set to use the HP  M125nw printer (HP Wireless Direct) and Ethernet cable reconnected, each time they return to their office.  This is unacceptable. 

My customer wants the new HP M125nw to be available wirelessly on the WLAN, so the users PCs can connect to the WLAN, Internet, and the HP M125nw with the one connection to the building's wireless access point.

I hope this clarifies my situation.

The HP M125nw manual isn't at all detailed.  It gives no details for wireless setup options, no menu flow-chart.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:
I found an instruction guide for the Wireless setup.

It Does Have a Wizard apparently.  See below.
M125nw Wireless & Wizard.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your clarification.

Either use the software as explained in the document listed above, or alternatively use the following workaround:

1. Connect to the printer from one of the PCs using HP Wireless Direct.
  2. Open a web browser and browse to http://192.168.223.1, the EWS page of the printer opens.
  3. Open the Network tab.
  4. Within the Wireless section click on Wireless Setup Wizard and follow the steps on screen to select your SSID.

Oce you are done press apply, the bluw wireless light should become solid blue and the pritner should become visible through the local WLAN.

Reconnect the PC to the WLAN, the printer should not be visible from any PC within the Add printer screen too.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks

The software was the only way to go.

The printer control panel commands/keypresses in the document I found would not work.

All is working well.

I didn't realize HP removed so much of the network config from the built-in display menu, sine the last one I installed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.