Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Actiually IP addresses ending in .1 are almost always the IP address of the router.  Are you sure your printer has this exact IP?

Do you have two routers or perhaps a DSL modem/router and your own router?

Until the printer and computer have similar IP structures the printer will not install, so let's figure out your router situation.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with my printer. It asked me for my IP address and I have typed in 3 different addresses, one of which is the same as my PC. It has failed to recongize any of them. How do I know what address to type in?

HP Recommended

Tell me more.  What operating system?  What router?  What printer?

What is asking for an IP address of the printer?

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

I just got new HP Officejet 4500 wireless.  Followed set up - but get error message: Printer IP 169.254..  not compatible with the IP address 192.168 .. of the pc.

help?!

HP Recommended

The 169.x.x.x address states the router failed to give the printer an ip address.  One way that normally fix;s this issue is to do what is called a "hardreset" of the router. you can perform this by unplugging the power cord to the router and let it sit for about 2 minutes (it wouldnt hurt to do the same to the printer in this situation) After the 2 minutes are up, plug the router back in and wait a minute or so before plugging in the printer.

I would then download the HPHNDU software to see if the printer shows up on your network.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info!  Fixed my problem easily by 'adding' the port my printersaid it's IP address was (and different from my computer).  

HP Recommended

This is absolutely ridiculous.  How is a normal, non-tech, person supposed to follow these directions.  I paid money for a printer that won't connect to my computer.  I can only print from @hpeprint.com and not form my home desktop.  Extremely frustrating.   

HP Recommended

Hi @andreamsu80,

Thanks for reaching out to the forums! I understand that you are having issues setting up the printer over the network. I would be happy to help you. 

Let me know what printer and operating system you are using.

Thanks!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.