Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet P1102
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Sony Vaio VPCEH Laptop with Windows 7 and when I run the disc which i recieved with the printer on my laptop the setup process works as far as the 'Install Printer Software' section. When prompted to turn on the printer and connect the USB to the laptop it says 'USB not recognised'.  I have tried all 4 USB slots in my laptop but the USB still comes up as an unknown device with an exclamation mark in a yellow triangle. I have been searching the internet for solutions and have tried uninstalling the unkown device in device manager and restarting the setup process with the disc, I have also tried clicking upgrade driver software on the unkown device but it says the driver software is up to date and it still shows as an unknown device and is not recognised. I have also tried uninstalling the HP software from the disc on my laptop and reinstalling this but nothing has worked. I have had the printer for over 2 weeks now and haven't been able to use it due to this problem and I really need it for University so i would greatly appreciate if someone could please give me a solution to this problem 🙂 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Janemaguire,

Did you try another USB cable?

Since the printer isn't even being detected on the Mac, it may be the USB port on the printer.

What happened when you tried to install the printer on the Mac?

Any error messages?

Is this the Laserjet P1102w model?

Let me know. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Janemaguire,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I read your post and see that the computer isn't recognising the printer properly. I will certainly do my best to help you. If this helps you to reach a solution, please click the "Accept as Solution" button down below in this message. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the " Thumbs Up " to give me a Kudos. Smiley Happy

Thank you for the detailed information.

Is this printer the Laserjet P1102w or the Laserjet P1102?  How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Most likely it is the Laserjet P1102w, since it is a newer model.

Restart the printer and make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation. The USB cable shouldn't be longer then 6 feet. Make sure the USB cable is connected directly to the computer. (not a docking station or hub)

This can also happen when the printer is already recognised as the USB connection and windows doesn't detect it again. These steps are a little bit different from what you have already tried. Leave the USB cable connected, delete the printer from the Devices and Printers and the Device Manager. Under Universal Serial Bus Controllers look for USB Printing Support, Mass Storage Device or anything with a yellow exclamation mark or unknown device. Right click and uninstall the device.

Then reconnect the USB cable and it should be detected again properly.

If the issue persists, please try the steps in this document, HP Laserjet Products - 'Device setup failed to complete' or 'Unknown device' Message Displays in Win...

If you have another USB cable handy, I would try it.

Please let me know the outcome and if there is anything else I can help you with. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the advice! But unfortunately it's still not working 😞 when I uninstall the usb from the device manager and reconnect it, Windows tries to install it but then I get the message 'device driver software was not successfully installed' and the printer is not showing up in my devices and printers so I can't delete it and then reconnect it either! I've also tried right clicking update driver software on the usb in device manager but I get the message 'Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while trying to install it' and it also says either 'the device cannot start (code 10)' or 'Windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems (code 43)' I don't know what else to do 😞

HP Recommended

Thanks for providing that information @Janemaguire. I am sure we will be able to get the printer fully installed, with a few more troubleshooting steps.

Please try the following steps:

Delete the printer from the Device Manager again, if Mass Storage Device is listed also, delete it too. It is part of the printer's drivers. Then disconnect the USB cable.

Here are some steps for restarting the print spooler. If it isn't running. the printer won't be installed.

• Press the Windows key and R at the same time, to show the run command line.
  • Type "Services.msc" (without the quotation marks).
  • Double-click "Printer Spooler" in the Services list.
  • Click Stop and then click on Start.
  • Click OK.

Unlock Hidden Administrator Account and install the printer on this account:

Note: Don't connect the USB cable in until prompted during the install.
Go to your Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD.
CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'.
Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter.
Next, close CMD and restart your computer.
When your computer comes on log into the new account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
If your computer automatically logs into your account after restart than go to your start menu click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator account we just unlocked.
Under the Administrator account, install the printer software. Try the lastest drivers, hp_LJP1100_P1560_P1600_Full_Solution-v20120831-50157036.exe
Test the printer.
To turn off the Admin account start back at step 1 and type in net user administrator /active:no.

If you are still having issues, run the Microsoft Fixit Tool, Fix problems that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled.

Please keep me posted.Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for all your help but i still can't get it to work, after I downloaded the drivers on the administrators account and started the installation process I still got a USB not recognised message in all of the USB slots 😞 I tried using the microsoft fix it but when they asked me to pick a programme to check there were many HP ones and I'm not sure which one is the one I need to click on.  I also tried installing it on my friends Macbook but the printer was not found on it either, any ideas of what else i could try?:) 

HP Recommended

Hi @Janemaguire,

Did you try another USB cable?

Since the printer isn't even being detected on the Mac, it may be the USB port on the printer.

What happened when you tried to install the printer on the Mac?

Any error messages?

Is this the Laserjet P1102w model?

Let me know. Thank you.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Tried a new USB cable and it worked first time!! Thanks so so much!😄😄
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.