Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
photosmart C4580 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I replaced the ink cartridge on my printer C4580 and now get carridge jam error message. The carriage seems to be catching on a small arm that is attached to the glider bar. I took the cartridge out and replaced a couple times, unplugged it,  but no change. Thanks so much for ideas.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

If you still have the old cartridge, try putting it back in.  I suspect that the new cartridge is not the correct one for the printer.  If the old cartridge has the same problem please post a picture of the small arm you are talking about.

If the new cartridge is the issue you probably have an incompatible cartridge.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your reply. I put the old cartridge back and it didn't help. The new one is the right HP cartridge. It is hard to see in the photo but there is a little arm, almost like an arrow at the bottom left base of the cartridge. I have to push a little hard to get carriage to go over it. The piece of metal doesn't move - seems to be fixed there, so I can't figure out why it is jamming it all of a sudden . Thanks!  -FullSizeRender (1).jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks for trying the old cartridge.

For some reason, the picture you sent does not display.

I am able to see the picture now.

I have another thing to try:

Remove the cartridges, close the printer back up and power cycle the printer.  Listen for the noises that the printer makes on power-up.

After the printer is power up and silent for a minute, open the cartridge access door. - there should be some noise as the print carriage moves to the access area.

You can then put the cartridges back in and close the door.

I'm really shooting in the dark here since I don't have a printer to look at myself.  I'm thinking that the piece sticking up is normally retracted after the print heard are inserted.  Not sure why this might not happen.

Let me know if this helps.

If not I will try to locate a C4580 to see if I can locate the piece you are talking about.

Sometimes it takes several posts back and forth to get to a solution - please be patient.
I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

I tried your suggestion. When it powers back up, there is grinding and clicking and when I open the door, I can see the carriage trying to work to get over that little metal piece, but it can't.  Thanks so much for checking into it.

HP Recommended

I can't find a printer to look at, but I did take another look at the picture you sent.   I have something you could try.

I'm in the realm of trying the unknown now.   Anything I suggest might make the printer worse.  I expect that the printer is out of warrenty and that you are just trying to get it back up so you don't have to replace it. 

I'm just saying try these ideas at your own risk. 🙂

I'm guessing that the metal piece is a paper guide and that its normal position is towards the back of the printer.  If the carriage (the thing that holds the pens)  was pushed a little to the right the metal piece might be able to be pushed back into position.

That's about all I can suggest.  Good luck.

I am employed by HP
HP Recommended

Willing to try anything. I pushed on that little piece and it snapped back into place out of the way. I turned printer on and it said carriage jam again. I checked and the piece was back down again. Did that three times so I guess the piece is just broken. Bummer. Thanks for your suggestions - they were good ones!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.