Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
officejet pro 8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Initial set up of officejet pro 8600 out of box.

requires "setup" ink cartridges which I somehow do not have.

I do have the regular ink cartridges.

How can I get around the "setup" cartridges or how can I obtain them?

Thank you so much.

Charlie

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It is possible to bypass the setup cartridges. Below is from a support page I have....

This printer does not require the setup cartridges instead please try enabling "trade at OOB":

- From home screen press 4-5 times the spot were the return arrow is located (bottom left corner, it will not be lit), once per second.
- Press Support Menu
- Using the arrows find System configuration and press OK
- Use the arrows for browsing the menu and find "Trade at OOB"
- Press OK  and enable it.

Once this is done printer will accept regular cartridges.

Sent from somewhere in Arizona!!

If I have helped you, be sure to marking my answer as solved.
And feel free to send me some kudos!!
HP Recommended

Thank you so much Merkat for your quick reply.

I was on phone for several hours with HP with various Depts-Tech support; Parts; Store-all without success.

I hope your wisdom works.

You suggest I start from "home screen", but I'm not sure if that means the home button or where the HP screen begins when the printer is turned on, which is "setup" on the screen. 

When the printer is turned on, the screen reads:   "Setup"  "To set up the printer and connect to the network, Continue."

The screen has a home button -not lit-,  but at this stage of the setup,  it does not respond to pressing.

The backward button does not respond either.  I can see the backward button and press it repeatedly, but nothing seems to happen.

Should I be somewhere else on the screen?  If so, how would I get there?

I am obviously not very computer savvy.

Thanks again,

caghp

HP Recommended
It worked to setup a newer model, but tapping the back button (not illuminated but next to the bottom left of the touchscreen) does toggle the support menu on my 8600 Plus

It may take a little practice but it should work for you
Sent from somewhere in Arizona!!

If I have helped you, be sure to marking my answer as solved.
And feel free to send me some kudos!!
HP Recommended

Merkat,

Will keep trying.

Thank you again,

cag

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.