Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hey, i have a 4540mfp with a dead disk. the disk was/is encrypted.

Ive installed a new disk and get a99.09.63, incorrect disk when i boot.

i've read around on forums etc and found that i need to lock the disk to the printer. Well that selection is greyed out in the pre-boot menu. I cannot select it (under administrator - manage disks - lock).

Ive tried several disks and several methods. ie: Clear disk password, format, secure erase(took forever to complete) 

Nothing is working.. 

Any takers?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
1.Go to www.hp.com/go/cljcm4540mfp_firmware and follow the onscreen steps to download the most recent firmware upgrade files for your product.
2. Copy the firmware update file to a portable USB flash memory storage device (thumb drive).
3. Reinstall the formatter with the new hard drive and reconnect the power cord and network connection.
4. Turn the product on.
5. Press and hold the Stop button when all of the LEDs illuminate solid.
6. Press the 9 button to highlight the Administrator menu, and then press the 6 button.
7. Press the 9 button to highlight the Download menu, and then press the 6 button.
8. Insert the portable USB storage device with the firmware update file on it.
NOTE: If the error message No USB Thumbdrive Files Found appears on the control-panel display, you might need to connect the storage device to the external USB connection on theformatter.
9. Press the 9 button to highlight the USB Thumbdrive menu, and then press the 6 button.
10. Press the 9 button to highlight the firmware update file, and then press the 6 button.
NOTE: The upgrade process can take up to 10 minutes to complete. TIP: If there is more than one firmware update file on the storage device, make sure that you
select the correct file for this product.
11. When the message Complete appears on the control-panel display, press the 5 button three times.
12. When the message Continue appears on the control-panel display, press the 6 button. The product will initialize.
13. When the upgrade process is complete, print a configuration page and verify that the upgrade firmware version was installed.
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. Though copying from the how to update the firmware on your printer page does not help me.

Installed new firmware (everything installes without errors), after pressing continue the message  and/or restarting "wrong disk installed" is showing.  This is because th previous disk was encrypted and locked to the printersystem. And there lies my problem. The newly inserted disk cannot be locked to the printersystem. The messages 99.09. 62-63-66 has all been showing and been fixed. Now its only the lock to printer function left.

Hps "hlep" pages show the message lock the disk to the printer, as it was a normal thing to do... Well my system prohibites me from doing so, even after clearing the password for the system and cleaning the disk.

So thanks for the help, but no solution.

Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended
This is all I can find and it seems you have tried them all. But I will post.

99.09.63 – Incorrect Disk

This error indicates the expected encrypted HDD is not present. This is expected behavior when installing a new HDD in a device where the previous HDD was encrypted.

Resolution

Perform the following actions from the Preboot Menu under the “Administrator” option:
1.Clear disk password.

2.Download, Option - USB Thumb drive (download firmware).

3.If the error persists, perform an Erase/Unlock procedure then Download, Option - USB Thumb drive (download firmware).

HP Recommended

Hello, when you say you have tried several disks, are you trying to use harddrives that are used? Or are they new ones? I have come across this issue and have tried swapping harddrives only to get the same error, the way I was able to resolve this was ordering and installing a new harddrive.

Hope this helps.....

HP Recommended
Tnx for the reply. Ive done 1 and 2 several times, but nr 3 is always greyed out. (cannot select it) Ive triede to insert the old disk and unlock it too, but no solution.
HP Recommended
All new disks.. Still same problem. think the main card is gone.

ive requested a service engineer.. :smileyhappy:
HP Recommended
It is possible you may need to order a replacement hard disk that is already preloaded and just upgrade the firmware. The correct part number for your printer is 0950-4935. Below is a link to the least expensive one I could find.

https://ittrader.com/part/Hewlett-Packard/09504935
HP Recommended

Solution is: Dead maincard ....

Case closed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.