Question

Tutor
Daviloski
Message 1 of 10 (2,451 Views)

HP Photosmart 6510 not printing in black, "alignment failed" error, "photo tray problem" error...

HP Photosmart 6510, Windows XP.

After replacing the black ink cartridge I can no longer print in black. I did the deep clean and it still won't print in black. I tried running the align printhead tool and got a message stating "The Alignment Process Failed" with no explanation or suggested remedy.

Then, as suggested in the HP forum, I uninstalled and reinstalled the 6510 software after which I tried printing a line of text from a text editor and got a message stating "Photo Tray Problem, Re-insert or lower the Photo Tray." I pulled out the paper tray and slid the photo tray back in, closed the paper tray and tried printing again and got the same message again. I then tried printing from another program and received the same message. I checked in Printer Preferences and it's set to print from the paper tray, not the photo tray.

Just for kicks I made a second attempt at aligning the Printhead and once again got a message informing me that "The Alignment Process Failed."

What do I need to do to get this thing working again?

Distinguished Professor
jabzi
Message 2 of 10 (2,439 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 6510 not printing in black, "alignment failed" error, "photo tray p

Hello,

Please try the below steps that should resolve the issue .

• Please ensure you have remove the Orange Tab and Orange Paper from the cartridge.
  • On the Printer fron panel, touch SETUP ( Wrench tool icon ), then touch on TOOLS, then touch on CLEAN PRINTHEAD .
  • After the cleaning of printhead is completed the printer would print a diagnostic page.  Check for the presence of BLACK in it.

If the issue still exists, the you may have to repeat the above mentioned steps for atleast 3 times.

Regards,
Jabzi

Help the community by marking this post .
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
I work for HP

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Tutor
Daviloski
Message 3 of 10 (2,435 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 6510 not printing in black, "alignment failed" error, "photo tray p

Thanks for your reply Jabzi.  I've cleaned the printhead at least 5 times and I've printed out several diagnostic pages, none of which show any black ink. The other colors look good. Both the orange tab and orange sticker were removed by me prior to installing the cartridge.

Distinguished Professor
jabzi
Message 4 of 10 (2,422 Views)

Hello,

It seems to me that the issue is with the printhead, which is  a fixed part of the printer. 

Please call HP Tech Support (US) for further assistance.

If you are in US , the toll free # is 1-800-474-6836 .

If you are not in US , then log on to www.hp.com , at bottom-left corner there is a world map icon, click on it and then select the region you belong to, which would then provide support options for you for that region.

Regards,
Jabzi

I work for HP

Regards,
Jabzi

Tutor
Daviloski
Message 5 of 10 (2,384 Views)

After letting the printer sit for ten days I tried cleaning the printhead again. Got message stating the print head cleaning had failed. However, the test sheet showed black and I am now able to print in black.

So apparently one remedy for "not printing in black" is to let the printer take a ten day vacation! I'm reluctant to mark this problem as solved, being as I've only printed a couple of pages so far.

Intern
danielle00
Message 6 of 10 (2,367 Views)

[ Edited ]

so I am having this exact same problem! my 6510 does not print in black ink, I just installed all new color and black ink cartridges. The color works fine, but black does not. It also keeps saying "Alignment failed" Black does not show up on the test sheet either.   That area is blank.   So is the solution to let it sit for 10 days???  I have also cleaned the printheads at least 4 times. 

Danielle

Distinguished Professor
jabzi
Message 7 of 10 (2,357 Views)

Hello danielle00 ,

It seems to be an issue with the printhead which is a fixed part in the printer.

Please call HP Tech Support for further assistance.

If you are in US , the toll free # is 1-800-474-6836 .

If you are not in US , then log on to www.hp.com , at bottom-left corner there is a world map icon, click on it and then select the region you belong to, which would then provide support options for you for that region.

Regards,
Jabzi

I work for HP

Regards,
Jabzi

Tutor
Daviloski
Message 8 of 10 (2,334 Views)

Danielle,

Letting my printer sit for 10 days worked for me but there's no guarantee that doing this will remedy the problem with your  printer.  If you search the forum you'll find that there are quite a few other solutions to this problem. 

Honor Student
ksfurby
Message 9 of 10 (2,151 Views)

I am having the same problem since replacing my cartridges and have completed all steps suggested including re cleaning the printhead and printing quality reports each time to the point that I then got a message saying my ink was running low!
What else can be done to Rectify this? This is the only time I have needed to replace the cartridges as I spent months having wireless problems and so hardly used it until recently. My printer is only about a year old and I am not happy that yet another HP product in my household is not proving to be reliable.
Student
ecwoc
Message 10 of 10 (1,934 Views)

I have just had the same error message wth the same result. I removed any photo paper from the photo paper tray (I just wanted to print on paper anyway). Then I carefully printed out from Settings/Tools 1) printer status report 2) cartridge alignment and 3) clean print heads. Now it is working again. God only knows why but maybe this would help.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation