Question

Top Student
SuesRomeo
Message 1 of 7 (184 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g - Ink-carriage

[ Edited ]

My printer thinks there is a jam in the printer ink cartridge area. 

I used to be able to open the print-carriage access door and close it again, sometimes, I had to take out and put back the print cartridges and it would run again.

Now, it prints blank pages - it pretends it is printing, but with brand new cartridges, it is just printing blank pages.

Is this going to be a printer-ending error? (more expensive to fix than to buy a new printer?)

PhD Student
Wally_R
Message 2 of 7 (168 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g - Ink-carriage

Hi SuesRomeo,

Thanks for posting such detailed information, hopefully there can still be something done to rescue your printer :smileyhappy:

1. Please start a power reset of the printer, and then let it re-initialize after plugging it in. (Try printing, if it doesn't work, keep going to the next step)

2. Follow solutions 1 thru 5 in this document: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01624050&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=ca&dlc=en&lc...

3. You can also try to manually clean the printheads: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01817398&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=ca&dlc=en&lc...

4. If those fail, then there might be paper still mis-aligning the print carriage. Please take a look at this video, and see if there's any leftover paper still hiding inside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFKiGpkyZ1g

Regards, Wally

*** If my reply was helpful, please click on the "Kudos Thumbs-Up" on the left, as a way to say "Thanks!".

If this reply also fixed your issue - please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so that others can find the same answer. ***
Top Student
SuesRomeo
Message 3 of 7 (160 Views)

Thank you so much for your help Wally!  I now know more about printers than I ever thought I could!

Unfortunately, now I've gone from having a "jam in the ink-carriage" to a Print Head Problem.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the print heads a dozen times, but it is telling me there is a problem with the black/yellow. Perhaps I need a new one, but if there is some underlying big problem, I hesitate to put any more money into it.

As it is, I just put $150 worth of brand new ink cartridges yesterday and the little touch screen is saying all cartridges are very low. (I only use HP original ink cartridges - not the cheap ones!)

PhD Student
Wally_R
Message 4 of 7 (138 Views)

Hi again,

Okay, if you're only having issues with that one last printhead, please do just this following portion for that black and yellow printhead. And yes, I agree replacing it would be costly. If these final steps don't work, I would cal HP tech support for a 2nd opinion :smileyhappy:

1. Make sure that the product is turned on.
  2. Open the top cover of the product.
  3. Press and hold the OK button for five seconds. The carriage moves to the left side of the product. Release the OK button.
    CAUTION:Proceed only if the carriage is on the left side of the product. If it is not, the printheads will be damaged when you install them. If the carriage does not move over, try turning the product off and on again
  4. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent.
  5. Unplug the product power cord from the electrical outlet.
    NOTE:Do not turn the product off by pressing the Power button ( ). This causes the carriage to move out of reach.
  6. Lift the printhead latch.
    Figure 1: Lift the printhead latch
    Illustration of lifting the printhead latch on the left side of the product.
  7. Lift the handle on the printhead that the error message indicates is missing or damaged, and then pull the printhead out of its slot.
    Figure 2: Lift the handle to remove the printhead
    Illustration of lifting the handle to remove the printhead.
  8. Use a dry, soft, lint-free cloth to remove any ink from the electrical contacts on the printhead.
    CAUTION:Wipe only the electrical contacts. Wiping the ink nozzles, located on the underside of the printhead, can damage the printhead. Do not touch the nozzles. Doing so permanently damages the ink nozzles, and the ink stains clothing.
    Figure 3: Electrical contacts and ink nozzles
    Illustration of ink nozzles on the underside of the printhead and electrical contacts on the front of the printhead.
    1 - Electrical contacts
    2 - Ink nozzles
  9. Wipe the electrical contacts with the swab until no ink residue remains.
  10. Wipe the electrical contacts with a fresh cloth to dry them and remove lint.
  11. After the electrical contacts on the printhead are clean and dry, place the printhead on a sheet of paper or a paper towel. Make sure that the ink nozzles face up and do not touch the paper.
Step two: Clean the contacts inside the product
Follow these steps to clean the contacts inside the product.
  1. Use a fresh, dry, soft, lint-free cloth to clean the electrical contacts inside the product.
    Figure 4: Clean the electrical contacts inside the product
    Illustration of reaching inside the product and cleaning the electrical contacts with a clean, dry cloth.
  2. Allow at least five minutes for the contacts to dry. Check the contacts for lint or debris, and then dry or clean the contacts again if needed.

*** If my reply was helpful, please click on the "Kudos Thumbs-Up" on the left, as a way to say "Thanks!".

If this reply also fixed your issue - please click the "Accept as Solution" button, so that others can find the same answer. ***
Top Student
SuesRomeo
Message 5 of 7 (128 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless A909g - Alignment Failed

[ Edited ]

Now I'm at Alignment Failed! 

Chasing the errors around this thing, but I feel like I'm moving forward at least!! Lol!

I should mention that all my colored ink is brand new HP Color & Black Cartridges and correctly installed.

PhD Student
Wally_R
Message 6 of 7 (113 Views)

Hi again SuesRomeo,

Yup, really a puzzler for sure! Let's see if this helps:  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01631212

Double-check this document too, I think you've tried most of the steps here, but there may be some that might still apply. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c01624398

These are the last options that I could find for your printer. One thing I wouldn't suggest is buying more ink or new printheads without asking HP techs for a 2nd opinion. You can contact HP support in North America at 1-800-474-6836 or find the local telephone number for your country here: http://welcome.hp.com/country/w1/en/support.html Please look for the category "Technical Support After you Buy"

Top Student
SuesRomeo
Message 7 of 7 (100 Views)

Well - I certainly appreciate your help.

Unfortunately, I think this printer has had it.

I'm not willing or able to put another couple hundred dollars into it to change the Printheads and I just can't get it to work.

I have a broken Officejet 7100 that I wished I'd gone through this process to try and fix - maybe I'll dust it off and start it up so I can remember what was wrong wtih it!

Thank you again - you have been fantastic!!

Sue 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation