Question

Honor Student
Bucker
Message 1 of 6 (885 Views)

Paper curling problem in new printer

Paper curls when coming out of my P1102 printer. I have tried using better quality paper (HP brand) and that does not help. Is the printer defective and need to be repaired or returned?

Grad Student
Kazman
Message 2 of 6 (880 Views)

Re: Paper curling problem in new printer

Hi Bucker,

Paper curl can actually be normal but excessive curl is not. 

Can you give a description of how much curl you are getting?   Is the paper rolling up into a tube or is it only lifting off the table by a few millimeters or somewhere in-between?

I will do some more research on my own as well.

Regards,
Brian

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Honor Student
Bucker
Message 3 of 6 (876 Views)

It's a slight curl. I was concerned because I had a P1006 laserjet that never had this curling paper feature. I purchased the P1102w model because it looks similar but has the wireless feature but I never expected this unwanted curling phenomenon.

Grad Student
Kazman
Message 4 of 6 (873 Views)

Hi Bucker,

Paper curl generally happens for several reasons.  One of the reasons is because of the paper path geometry and how the paper enters the fuser and then exits.  Think of a pipe bender....

The other reason for media curling is because of water content in the media.  As the media goes into the fuser it is heated rapidly to fuser the toner to media and also dry's out the media which causes the paper fibers to contract.   Generally as the media absorbs moisture from the air it will flatten out again.

A couple things that you can do to minimize curl:

1) Keep your paper in it's wrapping until you are ready to use it.  For example, at home I have a habit of opening a paper pack and using only a portion of it.  When it is open it is absorbing moisture in the air.  If you have to open a partial pack, keep it in a cool/dry place.

2) Use high quality media

3) Make sure that you are using the right fuser type for the media.  If you are running general office media, the media type is typically plain.  Some offices are running lighter weight media and you may be better to run the light media type.  Just check to make sure that the you still have proper fusing of the toner to the page.

4) Try turning the paper over.   Media can be loaded seem up or seem down.  Some paper manufacturers suggest on their packaging the the best way to load the media. 

5) Check if you device has a curl reduction setting.   I looked at the User Guide for the P1006 and it does not have a setting specifically to reduce curl.

Feel free to post back the Media Size and Weight and the Media Type you are setting in the driver and I can double check if there is a better setting.  Also try turning the media over and letting me know if it gets better or worse.

Regards,
Brian

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Student
Terejimenez
Message 5 of 6 (834 Views)

I bought a Laserjet P1102w a few days ago. All the prints are terribly curled. The papers do not flat even after hours of being printed.  I tried with several brands of paper with no success.  I contacted HP support and after 2 hours in the telephone changing the settings the operator told me to take the printer to the store and get another one.

Do you think this is a problem with the laserjet P1102 W printers or do you think if I get another one there is a possibility that the new one will not have the same problem?

Thank you for your valuable inputs

Student
spadger
Message 6 of 6 (785 Views)

I have the same issue. I bought the printer in February this year and the curl was evident from the start. The curl affects both sides (about a 50 mm curl up) and to some extent, the front and rear ends.

History to date:

Paper is HP's own brand 80 gsm, kept in wrapper in dry warm place

Tried alternative paper from another printer, same result.

Tried my paper in another printer, no curl at all

Spent one hour on phone to HP Support doing tests. They agreed the printer was faulty and sent a replacement.

Replacement printer produces exactly the same issue.

Paper curl does not go away even after days

There is no obstruction causing this. It is definitely heat related

The paper is curled on all four sides so that assembling and aligning a multi page document is very difficult and cosmetically unacceptable

In view of the time and effort expended by both myself and HP on this (to everyone's credit), I am wondering if there is either a systematic flaw in this type of printer or a rather large batch of flawed printers in New Zealand. Any suggestions? I need some resolution on this and would be reluctant to take another replacement printer of the same model. My previous reliable old Laserjet 6P was only retired when a parallel port was no longer part of my new hardware but it never had this issue with that old soldier!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation