Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Windows 7 (64 bit) system with the HP DeskJet 990cse printer.

With Windows XP I could print black and white only (no grey scale), however now with Windows 7 it seems that I cannot print black and white only (no grey scale).

Is it possible to print black and white (no grey scale) with a Windows 7 (64 bit) system?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Great Information BOB!

@n__l__b, let me know is bobs post resolves your issue! 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hello,

You can follow this document and see if the black and white is an option for you to select.

HP Recommended

Hello lions99 - Your proposed solution explains how to print in grayscale.  This is the problem I am trying to solve.  I would like to print in pure black and white (no grayscale).

HP Recommended

"Is it possible to print black and white (no grey scale) with a Windows 7 (64 bit) system?"

Yes, I understand that. 

The link I attached has a drop down that shows you how to check and see if you have the black and white options and not grey scale.

dd.PNG

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there is no option available to print pure black and white.  I suspect the printer driver delivered with Windows 7 (x64) does not allow printing of pure black and white.  Is it possible to use another printer driver?

HP Recommended

Try installing the default desk jet 990c driver through windows print and faxes folder. 

Here is a link to show you how to do so. After this try checking if there is a black and white option.

HP Recommended

The Deskjet 5550 driver has an option for black only and should be compatible with the Deskjet 990.  Try the following:  click Start, Devices and Printers, right click on the Deskjet 990, Printer Properties, Advanced, New Driver, Next,  Windows Update (wait a few minutes for the list to refresh), select HP for the manufacturer, select the "hp deskjet 5550 series (HPA) (HP)" , Next, Finish, Apply.  This will change the name of the pritner, you may want to rename the printer back to Deskjet 990....

Other drivers that would support black only printing would include the Deskjet 6500 series, or the Deskjet 6940.

Note that "black only" may be grayed out if you are selecting duplex printing.  The printer underprints the front side with color to make the print dry faster (not intuitive but true) to prevent smearing in duplex printing.  Black only printing is also not available if photo paper is selected - the pigmented black ink is not compatible with photo paper.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip.  It seems that the HP - 970cse driver will meet my needs.  I believe the problem is resolved.

HP Recommended

Great Information BOB!

@n__l__b, let me know is bobs post resolves your issue! 

HP Recommended

@n__l__b wrote:

Thanks for the tip.  It seems that the HP - 970cse driver will meet my needs.  I believe the problem is resolved.

Hmm... on my Win 7 x64 system the Deskjet 970cse driver was the first one I checked and mine did not have any options for Black Ink Only.  I am glad you resolved your issue.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.