Question

Tutor
bluffwood5556
Message 1 of 2 (5,426 Views)
Accepted Solution

All-in-One Copy vs Scan Functions

What is the technical difference between the Black Copy function and the Scan function (Document to Printer setting) in HP All-In-Ones when printing a black and white documentI happen to have an HP Photosmart C6280 but imagine similar software is used in most HP AIOsI'm using Windows XP SP3.

I've noticed I get great printed document copies when using Black CopyYou cannot see any difference between the original and printed copyBut when I take the same document and use the Scan function, with the default "Document to Printer" setting in the HP Solution Center / HP Scanning software, the document's white background comes out gray in the scanned image and printed documentTweaking scan settings does not seem to helpThe default color setting is "grayscale."  Changing the color setting to "black and white" makes the image worse, even after adjusting the Threshold levelAll of this is also true when scanning to a file.

Curiously, Windows XP's Scanner and Camera Wizard also produces great scanned document images (no gray background) when using the "Black and white picture or text" setting.

It appears two different sets of software are used by HP for scanning and copying, even though both functions use the same scanner. It would be nice if HP Scanning could be configured to produce the same black and white document scanning results produced by the Black Copy function and by the Scanner and Camera WizardAm I missing something about the purpose and/or configuration of the Scan function? Have you had good black and white scanning success with HP Solution Center / HP Scanning?

Thank you for any thoughts or experiences!

Mark

Tutor
bluffwood5556
Message 2 of 2 (5,313 Views)

Re: All-in-One Copy vs Scan Functions

I have solved my own problem with the help of HP tech support.  HP has a document called "Improving Scan Quality" located at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=buu00673&jumpid=ot_recdoc/c01159439/en_us/buu006...

It can also be found by typing "Improving Scan Quality" into the Search box on the HP Support & Drivers web page.  The document is the first result in the list.

The second task in the document suggests recalibrating the All-in-One.  It was easy to do and ended up correcting my problem of getting gray backgrounds on scanned text documents using the grayscale color setting. The backgrounds are now white, as they should be.

The lesson I take away from this:  always turn on the All-in-One prior to putting the document to be scanned on the glass.

Whenever you unplug the All-in-One from the power outlet and then plug it back in, the scanner will automatically recalibrate itself when it is turned on the next time with the power button.  If there is a document on the glass during recalibration, the recalibration may not work accurately but you will not know it.  All you will know is that the scans you do from then on will have quality problems!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation