Question

Honor Student
Ejyke
Message 1 of 24 (9,241 Views)

How do I fix unable to scan to computer problem on windows 7 for HP 3050a?

Please can anybody provide a solution to my unable to scan to computer with the HP 3050?

The HP Scan application will not start even after several re-installation of program software.

Top Student
JoeSied
Message 2 of 24 (9,227 Views)

Re: How do I fix unable to scan to computer problem on windows 7 for HP 3050a?

I have the same problem with an HP1536dnf.  The scan function and WIA from microsoft don't work.  I worked with tech support and the only solution they could give me was to reinstall win 7 32 or go go Win 7 64.  Apparently one of the updates to Win 7 has caused the pfoblem and HP has yet to figure it out. Good Luck.

Honor Student
Ejyke
Message 3 of 24 (9,203 Views)

Many thanks.

I agree with you. I have tried starting the Windows 7 WIA service manually but, to no avail. It brings up a message that suggest that WIA is dependent on another application that was never mentioned.

I will try reinstalling Windows 7 as you suggested.

Ejike

Top Student
JoeSied
Message 4 of 24 (9,190 Views)

Well, I bit the bullet and reinstalled Win 7.  Scan works fine now.   I ran setup from within windows from the DVD and then went through the install steps and did not install new updates.  I also did not allow the program to validate.  I validated after everything was running fine.  This allowed me to get up and running without any patches.  I will be updating with patches one at a time (about 100) until I find the patch that causes scan to no longer work.  I really don't like poor programing.  I did validate microsoft essentials and install the latest update for this program.  I will post here the update number when I finally identify the process that causes scan to fail.

Tutor
salawinder
Message 5 of 24 (9,183 Views)

I'll be interested to see how you get on with this, here's my setup..

HP DeskJet 3050A connected wirelessly to Netgear WNR2000 router. Router shows the printer in the list of attached devices, but has given it an IP address of 192.168.2.241 (my DHCP range is 192.168.2.100 to 192.168.2.150, so this is odd).

I Installed the device about a month ago, and all was fine, I tested scan to PC and it worked flawlessly. A couple of days later a message popped up that scan to PC was not available. I tried various things, but could not get it to work.

Yesterday I reloaded my PC (I have a habit of doing this every couple of months!), the software installed fine, but the scan to PC would not function. I have printed, and that is fine.

The HP Home Network Diagnostic scanns the network but does not find the printer, yet when I click Show Advanced Tools and Display Detected Network Devices, the printer IS listed (HP0ACAFF)!

THe HP Scan Diagnostic correctly lists the printer, finds no problem with Connectivity or Device Manager, but fails on the Windows (WIA) Scan, suggesting I uninstall software, restart computer and reinstall the software (this is as stated on a fresh install of Windows 7 x64).

So yes, I'd like to see how others get on, because for me a major part of why I bought this device is not working as advertised, and I'm not happy.

Top Student
JoeSied
Message 6 of 24 (9,173 Views)

Explain you exactly you reloaded your PC.  I load the win 7 DCD from within windows, run setup, and let the software reinstall.  That does not sould like what you are doing.

Tutor
salawinder
Message 7 of 24 (9,166 Views)

Hi,

When I reload I have a set process (I work in IT, so kinda used to doing this):

I format the hard drive and reload from a bootable USB key with the Windows 7 x64 Ultimate install files on it - when the install is complete it is as clean an install as is possible.

I then install all my regularly used programs in a preset order, then connect to the internet and install all WIndows updates.

I did all this before installing the Basic driver for the printer, so WIndows had all the latest patches & fixes before the driver was installed.

Bar the (incredibly remote) possibility that one of the programs I use is interfering with the function of the device, it is the perfect test situation, and the thing does not work.

Also note, I do not have any antivirus/internet security software on the computer, so there is nothing there causing an issue.

I also have another computer and a laptop which are in the homegroup, and scan to PC is not working on them either. They have differing software (still Win 7 x64, but other applications) but do have internet security software, but again, the facility worked for the first few days.

Top Student
JoeSied
Message 8 of 24 (9,155 Views)

One of the Win 7 patches is the culprit.  When I find it, I iwll let you know.

Grad Student
fish4life
Message 9 of 24 (9,152 Views)

Here are some steps to try for fixing WIA that our HP service folks have used with some success:

1. From Start Menu, goto Run. In the run window, please type services.msc and click on OK.

2. In the Window, please right click on Windows Image Acquisition Service and then click on Properties.

3. In the Properties window, please click on Dependencies window and check the dependencies.
It should be “Remote Procedure Call” and “Shell Hardware Detection”. If you find anything else, please advise.

4. Close the Properties window and then make sure the Remote Procedure Call service and the Shell Hardware Detection services are Started. If any of these services are not started, please restart these services and then restart the Windows Image Acquisition service.

5. After restarting the windows image acquisition service, try to scan again.

Thanks

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
Tutor
salawinder
Message 10 of 24 (9,150 Views)

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the input.

The WIA service has just the RPC & Shell Hardware detection dependancies. All three are set to Automatic and started.

I have stopped WIA & Shell Hardware Detection (RPC cannot be stopped), the started Shell Hardware Detection followed by WIA, but the HP Scan DIagnostic Utility 4.2 still fails at the WIA test.

If JoeSied is correct that it is a WIndows Update that has nixed this, are HP working on a solution?

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation