Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I resolve a fax error 344?  I have sent to this address before and it has worked fine but now I receve the error.  I am using an Officejet 6500A.

Thanks for your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi decisions13,

The error code means that The remote machine has failed to respond to a fax command from the local machine because the connection is interrupted. If you've successfully sent faxes to this number before, then you can reattempt the fax transmission at a different time when line condition have improved. You can also run a fax test from your printer and check if all tests pass. A line test can also be run by your telephone company to ensure stable fax line conditions.

You can also disable Error Correction Mode by Setup menu (on printer) > Fax Setup > Advanced Fax Setup > Error Correction Mode > Off.

Hope this works for you!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cheers! :generic:

* If this post has helped you, the White Kudos star on the left is a great way to say thanks!
* Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so other users can benefit as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi decisions13,

The error code means that The remote machine has failed to respond to a fax command from the local machine because the connection is interrupted. If you've successfully sent faxes to this number before, then you can reattempt the fax transmission at a different time when line condition have improved. You can also run a fax test from your printer and check if all tests pass. A line test can also be run by your telephone company to ensure stable fax line conditions.

You can also disable Error Correction Mode by Setup menu (on printer) > Fax Setup > Advanced Fax Setup > Error Correction Mode > Off.

Hope this works for you!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Cheers! :generic:

* If this post has helped you, the White Kudos star on the left is a great way to say thanks!
* Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so other users can benefit as well.
HP Recommended

I have tried all these suggestions and have not been able to fax ? I connect my telephone to the direct line to see if it would call out and it worked fine  but once I tried to fax I only get erro messages .

Thanks

HP Recommended

I too am having this issue. I have telephone thru a modem and will try disconnecting and reconnecting it after 60 seconds to see if that helps.

HP Recommended

I use MagicJack and I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but when I retry a few minutes or hours later, it works fine.

HP Recommended

I have HP DESKJET 4625, when I am trying to send a fax, I hear the numbers dialing, then the receiving end is responding, the negotiation start, and when I hear the long "beep", the HP machine response with short beep and then the screen shows "connecting", after a long time I get a printout of error 344 - "A communication error", I have tried everything that is written here - but it still doesn't go through. - anybody have an ideas?

HP Recommended

Im having same issue and nothing helps.

HP Recommended
I had same error 344 four times, fifth time went thru/sent ...I did nothing different. Must be the recipient's end that really had the problem. Keep trying then all else fails call them.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.