Question

Top Student
zohami
Message 1 of 30 (37,064 Views)
Accepted Solution

Reducing file size of scanned documents

[ Edited ]

ssia. I scan tax returns, bank statements etc. with multiple pages to pdf, then want to email them with multiple pdf files attached to a single email. My file sizes are 3MB, 8MB, 12MB, etc... even though I am only scanning about 15 pages in each pdf usually.

I have received 82 page pdf files from other people by email and the file size is less than 1MB.

How can I reduce the file size for easier transmission by email?

Thanks!

Teacher
green_apple
Message 2 of 30 (37,060 Views)

Re: Officejet 8500A Plus: how to reduce #MB file size of .pdf files scanned with multiple pages?

Hi Zohami,

To reduce the scan size, there are two things you can do:

- Reduce the scan resolution , or

- Scan in Grayscale or Black and White.

Please let me know if you need further clarification

I work for hp but my statement above is my own, not of hp
Top Student
zohami
Message 3 of 30 (37,059 Views)

Re: Officejet 8500A Plus: how to reduce #MB file size of .pdf files scanned with multiple pages?

Thanks green apple,

How would I go about doing either of those?

Teacher
green_apple
Message 4 of 30 (37,058 Views)

Hi Zohami,

Is this your printer model number: HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910?

If that's the model number, you can follow this instruction:

1. Open the Scan shortcut i.e. HP Officejet Pro 8500 A910 Scan on your desktop

2. Choose "Save as PDF" in the left pane

3. Change the Output type to "Grayscale" if you want to, or Change the Resolution to 100 dpi or 75 dpi. (lower resolutions means lower image details)

4. Click Scan.

Top Student
zohami
Message 5 of 30 (37,056 Views)

I'm trying it now. Do I need to go and make those settings everytime, or is there a way to set it and forget it so I can scan from the all-in-one touchpad instead of the desktop shortcut?

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Teacher
green_apple
Message 6 of 30 (37,053 Views)

Hi Zohami,

After you change the settings, the settings will stick, so you only need to do it once :smileyhappy:

You may try scanning several times, to see which settings works best for you.

After you change the settings in the desktop shortcut, the settings will be applicable for scanning from all-in-one touch pad with the same shortcut name.

I hope that helps to answer your question.

Top Student
zohami
Message 7 of 30 (37,051 Views)

Sweet green apple!

That works - Rock and roll!

Kudos to you, and thanks again! :smileyvery-happy:

Teacher
green_apple
Message 8 of 30 (37,049 Views)

Hi Zohami,

Glad that I can help :smileyhappy:

Student
kb1000
Message 9 of 30 (36,069 Views)

Dude; am confused....i sent to HP my problem, basicaly whatever i do it produces scans of 500 kb per page; i have the dpi set at 100, b&w. They sent me a link to OCR which means i need to pay $125 for software to correct the problem...what the heck is everyone thinkin???

Honor Student
tedemmes
Message 10 of 30 (34,889 Views)

I am having the same problem.................I used to be able to scan multiple pages and have them less than 1 MB.....

NOW they are 3-5 MB!  Reducing the ppi did not help...............poor quality.  same with changing to BW or grayscale.

There's gotta be a better way!!  PLEASE ADVISE.................I need to be able to send my reports like I used to!

THANKS!

Ted

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation