Question

j_ Honor Student
Honor Student
j_
Message 1 of 13 (11,627 Views)

Scanning with HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus on OS X 10.7, ImageCaptureCore error -9931

I am trying to scan with a new OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus on a Macintosh running OS X 10.7 (Lion), using a Wi-Fi connection. After a few successful page scans, I inevitably run into the following error message:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.ImageCaptureCore error -9931.)

The error occurs just after the printer begins scanning a page and sending data to the computer. Once it has occurred, the error becomes persistent and prevents any further pages from being scanned for a while, sometimes even continuing after the printer and computer are restarted. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer drivers, but the problem reappears.

There is nothing unusual about my OS X installation, and no older HP drivers have ever been installed. I have followed HP instructions for Lion users by downloading software and updates from HP's website rather than installing them from the disc distributed with the printer.

I contacted HP support and received this reply:

Also, the error message that you have received about the Image capture application of Apple. (sic) I would request you to contact apple technical support for the assistance on the error.

What the response claims is not exactly true. The error does come from Apple's ImageCapture library, but I am using HP's own HP Scan 3 application, which evidently uses the ImageCapture library. The error does not come from Apple's ImageCapture application (which, anyway, is the only other application HP says they support for scanning with this device). It seems to me that HP ought to try to resolve this problem, since this is the way they recommend using the scanner, HP Scan 3 is their own software, and if HP Scan uses Apple's ImageCapture libraries, then this is by choice. In the unlikely case that there is a bug in the ImageCapture libraries that affects HP's use of them, it seems to me that HP ought to work around the problem (or at least try to confirm that there is a problem).

In fact, prospective buyers should be aware that the only applications that can currently be used with this scanner on OS X are HP Scan and the actual ImageCapture application, since HP does not provide a TWAIN driver for OS X that would allow users to scan from other applications like Acrobat Pro. I think this is pretty surprising. There was no way to know it before buying the printer, just as there was no indication in the specs that the printer doesn't support scanning at more than 300 ppi using the document feeder. I also asked HP support whether there was any chance of a driver update that would address either of these concerns, and the only reply I got was this:

I apologize as the printer software does not support TWAIN and WIA scanning on Mac OS. Also, you would not be able to change the resolution to more than 300 dpi using the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) of the printer.

I would be surprised if HP does not eventually release a TWAIN driver for this printer on OS X, but at the moment they are giving no indication that they plan to do so.

Has anybody else had better luck using this device's scanner on Lion? Has anybody encountered or resolved the -9931 error?

Thanks--

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 13 (11,621 Views)

Re: Scanning with HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus on OS X 10.7, ImageCaptureCore error -9931

Hello,

By your notes, you have downloaded software and updates from HP's website.
Did you also updated the driver via Apple Software Update?

If not, please try updating the driver by clicking the Apple icon, then click Software Update and make sure to select any available HP Update, then check for any change.

The HP Scan 3 application relies on Apple's ICA module. by your notes i can figure that you are able to successfully scan by using Apple Image Capture application.

Try scanning with both Apple Preview, Image Capture and Print & Scan:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01910186&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5218795&sub...

please let me know if you got any similar error, or is the error appear from the HP Scan application only.

If you were able to successfully scan with any Apple application, please try installing the following HP Scan Update and check for any change:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL41837/mp-101655-1/HP_Scan_for_Mac_OS_X_10.7_Update.dmg

If the issue still ocours, It's worth trying to completely reinstall the software.. however please let me know of any change first.

The latest HP drivers for Mac OS X do not support TWAIN indeed but only Apple ICA, as you may find listed by the user manual (page 46):

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243.pdf

NOTE: The HP Scanning Software does not support TWAIN and WIA scanning on
computers running Mac OS X.

As a workaround, you may scan to Acrobat by setting the Scan To value as Adobe Acrobat while using Image Capture or Print & Scan Scanner Session.

Additionally, you may set the Scan to Computer to launch by your preferred application as following:

1. Open the HP Utility
  2. Click Scan to Computer
  3. Click the Scan Tasks tab.
  4. Edit the Everyday Scan workflow.
  5. Expend the settings by clicking the triabgle next to the Scanner.
  6. Set the scan settings per your need.
  7. Under the Open Finder Items section, Set to Open with your preferred application.
  8. Now scan from the printer front panel, which will immediately open by the configured application.

Please let me know of any progress,

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
nicolasreg
Message 3 of 13 (11,593 Views)

Re: Scanning with HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus on OS X 10.7, ImageCaptureCore error -9931

Hello everyone,

I am having the exact same issue with my officejet pro 8500a. I think this started occuring when I updated to osx 10.7.3 OR when I updated the drivers from the OSX update software less than a month ago. Before these upgrads, everything was running smoothly.

Anyway, I uninstalled / installed the complete software (several times actually) since then but nothing changed. I also tried installing the latest HP scan 3 software Shlomil suggested, but that never helped.

Maybe the HP uninstall tool does not delete every files that need to be deleted?

I tried scanning from Preview or Image Capture and everything is fine.

I can use the workaround with the front panel, but I would like to see this issue solved. HP scan 3 is a good software.

Thanks in advance.

Current setup is:

OJ 8500 A910 driver 3.1.3

HP scan 3.9.11 (81)

OSX 10.7.3 (running in french)

Image capture app 6.1 (440)

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 4 of 13 (11,589 Views)

Hi,

Please try completely uninstalling the software by using the scrubber feature (a more deeper uninstall level)

**Please be aware that performing the next steps will remove any installed HP Software.

1. Click on Go menu (Click the desktop, then look at the menu in the bar at the top of the page)
2. Select Applications
3. Select the Hewlett-Packard folder
4. Double-click HP Uninstaller application
5. Follow the uninstallation till prompted to select a device to uninstall
6. Press and hold Control + Alt + Cmd keys on the keyboard simultaneously while you click on Uninstall
7. approve any prompt to uninstall any HP Software.

Once done, repair the disk permissions to avoid any possible issue:

1. Open the the Applications folder.
2. Go to the Utilities folder.
3. Double-click on Disk Utility.
4. Select the hard drive containing the boot volume.
5. Go to the First Aid tab and select Repair Disk Permissions.
Note: This process may take several minutes depending on the Mac and amount of permissions that need to be repaired. The Progress Log will indicate when the proccess has been completed.

Finally, install the latest Lion software (HP_Lion_Ink_SW_v12-1.13.22.dmg) and install any available HP Update by clicking the Apple icon and then Software update.

Please let me know of any change,

shlomi

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL40169/bi-97933-2/HP_Lion_Ink_SW_v12-1.13.22.dmg
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as as Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
nicolasreg
Message 5 of 13 (11,583 Views)

Followed your instructions but that not solved the problem.

Few things I noticed however:

- The error pops up while using having several paper to scan in the carriage. Most of the time while scanning the nth page (n>=2). 

- It seems to work properly with color and B&W modes, error appears in grey tones mode.

Honor Student
wyomason
Message 6 of 13 (10,463 Views)

Just chiming in to say that I just bought this printer last week  I had to update the software with the help of HP Support by downloading it from HP's website because the software that came on the CD that was in the printer box would not install.  So I'm pretty sure I have the latest software from HP and from Apple.  I have version 10.7.4 of Mac OS X (Lion) and version 3.7.9 of HP Scan 3.

I experience exactly the same problem and get the same error message.  I'm trying to scan a multi-page document using the document feeder with the scan set to "Black & White" (grey-scale) and 200 dpi resolution.  The error message appears after the second page.

It works fine using Apple's Image Capture program, but I found that Apple's Preview crashed on the third page.

Student
jtkirk
Message 7 of 13 (8,528 Views)

I have a 8500A pro.

After some weeks of regular runnnings, a lot of troubles happened after the updating of OS X.

Lately, the printer should be unplugged and the system shutted down just to have a single page printed, and it was impossible to scan.

I JUST resolved my similar problem following your instructions, after several trials and different suggestions, so many thanks...

A lot of repair on disk permissions have been required.

Honor Student
wyomason
Message 8 of 13 (8,512 Views)

Since this was posted, I have received a Software Update through Apple and an update which appeared on the printer's screen and was easy to accomplish.  I have had no more problems trying to scan multi-page documents in greyscale.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 9 of 13 (8,494 Views)

Indeed,

As mentioned above the latest HP Printer Software 2.11 fully resolve the specific issue.

Make sure to run Software Update, then you should no longer face this problem.

For any problem retrieving the update by running Software Update you may also download and install the package below:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL907

Regards,

Shlmi

Student
CLGRACE
Message 10 of 13 (7,366 Views)

I am using Mac OSX 10.7.5.  When I try to scan  document with my officejet pro 8600 it separates each page. How do I scan it as one document? It has worked before, but I can't find a place to change the settings from scanning each page separately to a different file to scanning  a multiple page document to one file. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation