Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
photosmart 6520

Trying to Scan to email, recieve the following error message:

Server Connection Error:-1

There was a problem connecting to the server.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @Ram_17 – Hope you are well 🙂

Thanks for engaging in the HP Forums! I see by your post that you are having issues while setting up scan to email feature on your Photosmart printer. I will certainly do my best to help you fix this issue!

Let's start by assigning a public DNS address to your printer. Here are the steps:

•    Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
•    Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
•    Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
•    Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
•    Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
•    Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Restart the router and the printer once done and then try the scan to email again.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you setup the email profile via printer EWS page as suggested below. Try the steps below:

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • From the EWS, click the Scan tab.
  • Click Scan to Email Setup.
  • Click Outgoing Email Profile, click New, and then enter the email address you intend to use with this profile.
  • Enter a display name that will appear on the printer's control panel to identify this email profile.
  • Enter or confirm the correct SMTP server and SMTP port information.
  • If you typically have to enter a username and password to log into your email account, you will want to enter this information into the email authentication fields, and then click Next.
  • Enter a security PIN to restrict access to this email profile, if desired.
  • Set the size for email files and specify Auto CC, if desired.
  • Click Save or Save and test to complete the profile.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted As Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Dvortex

Tried your option 1, no joy!

Tried option 2, but only got as far as click on Scan tab. At that point I was only presented with Webscan, no option of Scan to Email setup?

HP Recommended

Hello, @RAM_17

Appreciate your efforts 🙂

Let's try adding the profile from the printer touch screen. Here are the steps:

1. On the printer control panel, touch the Scan icon.

2. Touch the Email icon .

3. Touch Add User on the Select Your Account screen.

4. Touch Continue on the Welcome screen.

5. Touch the Email dialog box, type your email address, touch Done, and then touch Continue.

A PIN number is sent to the email address you typed.

6. On your computer, log into to your email account and note the PIN in the email sent from eprintcenter@hp.com.

7. Touch the PIN dialog box and enter your PIN. Touch the Remember Me check box if you want to store your email account settings, and then touch Log In.

8. Select a security option on the Remember Me Information screen.

• Select Auto-login to store the PIN. This is a low security option best used when you are the only person using the printer.

• Select Store Email to store the email address, but not the PIN. The PIN must be typed each time you scan to email. Use this more secure option if multiple people use the printer to scan.

9. Now try using the scan to email feature from the printer screen.

That should do the trick. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi Dvortex

On printer control panel, I touch Scan Icon and then the Email icon. At that point I can go no further,

it attenpts to connecting to the internet and then errors with:

There was a problem connecting to the server!

This being the initial problem I first reported.

HP Recommended

Hello, @RAM_17

Thanks for the reply 🙂

I understand that the scan to email feature is not working, but how about regular printing and scanning over the wireless network? Are you able to print and scan to your PC wirelessly? Let me know!

If you are able to print and scan wirelessly, then I would recommend performing a full factory reset on your printer. I will send you a private message with the steps. Click the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen to access your inbox.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.