Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

follow dir. from moon child, it works-thanks

HP Recommended

"scan from computer" means start a program on the computer to preview and scan the content instead of starting by pressing a button on the scanner.  The scan error is related to the HP Solution Center.  Something has cause a problem with the scanner software installation on the computer. 

Have you installed the HP software that was included with the scanner?

Band aid Solution

1.  Use HP Scan utility in this path C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\Digital Imaging\bin\   Try searching for the program "hpiscnapp.exe"  I've added a short cut to my desktop and it seems to work well.

Root Cause Solution

2.  Install Solution Cent following this solution.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-and-Copying/Solution-Center-installation/m-p/1575737#M3...

Everything works great now.  My scan short cuts now work on the front panel of my Photosmart scanner and printer. 

HP Recommended

can't scan anything  what do i do ?

HP Recommended

Your Answer is THE BEST!!:catvery-happy: Thank you SO much!! I didn't know what to do and b/c of your answer, I was able to scan very important documents.

HP Recommended

hey 

StudentStudent, which os do you have? i will tell you instructions for all windows except xp.

FOR WINDOWS VISTA AND 7 FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1) Open windows photo gallery.(after connecting your printer)
2) now go to "file" on top.
3) now from the dropdown menu,click on "import from scanner"(or something like that).
4) now you can first preview or scan and then tag it.

FOR WINDOWS 8 FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1) OPEN CONTROL PANEL BY SEARCING IT IN THE START MENU.
2) now go to "hardware and sound".
3) now go to "devices and printers"
4) now double click on your hp phtosmart printer(which should be connected to your computer via USB cabel) 
5) now you will see something like "printer actios". go there scan from the scanning option.
5) now you can first preview or scan and then tag it.
HP Recommended

hey 

HP Recommended

Trying to scan to PC, get message scan error. Also says  - try scan from computer or see documentation. What does scan from computer mean?. No documentation on error, Will soon send this back to Best Buy and get something else unless I get a very simple answer and don't tell me to uninstall and reinstall again. That caused enoough problems the first time.

HP Recommended

I had my computer "tuned up" and then rec'd the scan error.   There was no problem scanning w/out needing to go through the computer.   Why does this error appear?  

HP Recommended

i ALSO HAD PROBLEMS TOO. .GO TO THE COMPUTER "START" MENU, CLICK "PRINTERS" TAB, AND IT SHOWS THE PRINTER CONECTED TO YOUR PC. THERES A TAB AT THE TOP SAYS "START SCAN" CLICK THAT TAB AND IT WILL START SCANNNG...YOUR IN!!~ IT WORKS!!!

HP Recommended

GO TO "PRINTERS TAB ON THE "START" MENU AND THEN THERE'S A TAB AT THE TOP THAT SAYS "START SCAN" CLICK ON THAT TAB AND IT SHOULD WORK!! IT WORKED FOR ME!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.