Question

Tutor
TheAlp
Message 1 of 73 (259,527 Views)

How do you turn the touchpad off

i just want to hear how you turn the touchpad off, i got a mouse so i don't really use it, and the double tap way of deactivating isn't working, it just turns on again when i go from tablet mode to laptop mode, any more efficient way?

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 2 of 73 (259,519 Views)

Re: How do you turn the touchpad off

What is the make & model of your laptop?

I know that sometimes above the mouse pad is a button to turn the keyboard mouse off & on.

Tutor
TheAlp
Message 3 of 73 (259,517 Views)

oh yeah i forgot.. its a tm2-1090eo, it has that double tap thing to turn it off but it just turns on again when i put it into tablet mode and open it again, i also set it to stay turned off (not just this session) but it turns on when i turn the screen around.

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 4 of 73 (259,514 Views)

[ Edited ]
Turn off the touchpad
Most HP notebooks come with an on/off button near the touchpad. If you do not wish to use the touchpad at this time, press this button. Press it again when you wish to use this accessory again.
If the notebook does not have an on/off button for the touchpad, touch and hold the top-left corner of the touchpad for approximately 5 seconds to disable it and do this again to activate it. When the touchpad is disabled, a small light will illuminate on the touchpad and an icon will appear briefly of the touchpad with a line through it. When the touchpad is activated, a small light will turn off on the touchpad and an icon will appear briefly of the touchpad.
Alternatively, if the notebook does not have an on/off button for the touchpad, and you wish to turn the touchpad off, open the Mouse Properties window, select the Device Settings tab, and click the Disable button. You may re-enable the touchpad from here at any point.
Tutor
TheAlp
Message 5 of 73 (259,509 Views)

have you read what i wrote? i can turn it off with the button in the corner but it turns on when i go from tablet mode to normal screen position, and i know where the disable button is in the Device Manager its simply not there, its there for all other devices, when i does it from the mouse settings it says i'm deactivating the only synaptics pointing device (translated from danish) and i say yes to deactivating, it deactivates and activates itself a second after.

Grad Student
nascar4u
Message 6 of 73 (259,493 Views)

you could try opening MSCONFIG and going to the STARTUP tab at the top, then uncheck the synaptics pointing device and that should keep the thing from loading.

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
Tutor
TheAlp
Message 7 of 73 (259,484 Views)

nope, now i just don't have the icon telling me its turned off, it still turns on by itself when i go from tablet to normal.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 8 of 73 (259,446 Views)

[ Edited ]

@TheAlp

Hi,

Go to:

Control Panel -> Mouse -> Device Settings

click there once on Synaptics Touchpad and then on disable button. When You will do that choose apply and this should solve Your problem.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Honor Student
felix-freiberge
Message 9 of 73 (259,139 Views)

Hi,

I got the same problem: When I disable the touchpad (double tap in the top left corner, mouse settings, ...), it activates itself again after a few seconds. I think that the HP service that monitors the status of the touchpad (to disable it when the screen is turned + closed) just goes crazy and activates the touchpad always.

Does anyone have an idea what's happening here?

Thank you for your time,

Felix Freiberger

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 10 of 73 (259,132 Views)

@felix-freiberge

Hi,

Go to:

Control Panel -> Mouse -> Device Settings

In the upper part there will be informations about touchpad driver version. Please post it here.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation