Tx1000 boot/power issues (1582 Views)
Student
Mrlumburg
Message 1 of 6 (1,582 Views)

Tx1000 boot/power issues

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone out there could help me. I bought the tx1000 in late 2007 until now it has worked perfectly.

Out of nowhere, it will not boot or power up. When I hit the power button, it turns on for a split second and all the lights light up, the cooling fan starts to run and as it shuts down the right speaker under the monitor pops.

I also noticed now the charging symbol (lightning bolt) on the monitor its self turns off a minute or two after plugging in the AC power adapter. The blue light around the adapter plug, on the side of the computer stays on continuously if it is plugged in.

I manage every now and again to get the tx1000 to power by holding the laptop so the base is vertical. However, it doesn’t boot and the monitor doesn’t display a thing. The HDD light flickers for a few seconds upon power then is unresponsive and dark. Eventually the PC will shut off after about 5 minutes.

When I bought the Tx1000 I also bought the extended battery and have only ever used that. I dug out the standard battery and nothing changes so I have ruled out any battery problems.

I have read that there may be an issue with the video card unsetting but I don’t see how that would explain the charging(lightning bolt) symbol turning off when its connected to the ac adapter.

Does anyone have any further diagnostic suggestions or know what I should do to fix it?

I’m not the greatest typer or writer so if something is vague or confusing let me know and I’ll follow up more specifically.

Thanks

Clay

Honor Student
geektou
Message 2 of 6 (1,489 Views)

Re: Tx1000 boot/power issues

I have been working on a tx1000 for a guy with somewhat the same type of issue. It takes several power-ons and offs sometimes before it will boot or the monitor will respond. The audio center light and the Bluetooth light remain orange when it does not start. The OS has been reinstalled factory on it from the Recovery partition and that has helped the situation. It starts much of the time first time. It is going through hundreds of Windows updates at this point and I hope that something there does not revert my progress. It has told me ther is anothe monitor attached and a Dialog opens to ask where I want my desktop displayed. Originally upon first looking at it, I got it to respond the first time by plugging in an external monitor. Both fired right up and I have set it so that ALL monitors(connected or ghost!)display the desktop. Hopefully it isn't an issue of the chipset connections being bad or a short somehow in the external plug. I really think it is all an issue of settings and updates and restarts at this point. 

Oh and the Lightning Bolt goes out when the Battery is full!

The Adapter connector will always remain lit while it is plugged in the wall.

Hope something here helps

Jim

Honor Student
Jo3mv
Message 3 of 6 (1,391 Views)

I have a Tx2z-1000 that is past its warranty, and I believe I am having the same issue. My problem was caused by the failure of a power supply *I think*.  My shielded power cable had a small break in the insulation and it was shorted to ground.  Upon investigation of the converter I was able to determine at least a bad N-channel MOSfet (probably used in some type of buck/boost circuit with feedback etc. that is used to output precision regulated voltages as load varies by power consumption).  It is my theory that either the bad power converter caused damage to the internal circuitry on the motherboard or that the dead battery caused damage on the motherboard. (I am pretty sure that a completely dead battery can cause issues) Whatever the cause, the only solution I see it replace the motherboard… I am currently debugging by investigation of traces and components, but on the 4 layer boards there are internal data and power traces… and I believe it’s a dying cause. If there was a known failure point (my guess is it will be a diode or fet) that can simply be replaced it will become a known issue to HP (eventually) and it should be as simple as a part swap.

Honor Student
Jo3mv
Message 4 of 6 (1,390 Views)

My symptoms (btw) are:
Power "Circle" around the plug lights with AC/DC power input.

Lightning Bolt lights (only if battery has some charge already)

Won't boot without good (charged) battery

When booted with charged battery and AC/DC supply connected, says "Charging" but battery contiunues to drain

Completely drained battery shown no lightning bolt and tablet completely unresponsive

Student
wch62
Message 5 of 6 (1,299 Views)

It sounds like your video chip(nvidia).

I have a tx1000 with very similar problem and just resolved it by doing a relatively simple repair.

It requires you to completely disassemble your laptop so you could remove the motherboard.

There are several methods posted on YouTube. Good Luck!

Honor Student
geektou
Message 6 of 6 (1,295 Views)

So by the statement that you removed the motherboard, I imagine you are saying you replaced it? Just taking it out and looking at it won't work, so did you do anything helpful besides take it apart?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation