Question

Grad Student
lmann
Message 1 of 6 (39,157 Views)

Hi.  Looking at "Services" and "Startup" processes on a tx2500z, what is hpqwmiex?  Google results vary from special keyboard functions, to image mgmt, to something to do with hp printers?  Thnx.

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 6 (39,193 Views)

hpqwmiex is helper for QLB

don't stop this service, or some of the buttons will stop working.
======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Tutor
GreatWhiteNorth
Message 3 of 6 (38,827 Views)

Re: hpqwmiex is helper for QLB

I can confirm CharlesHP's response.  I noticed that the QuickPlay/DVD buttons on the QuickLaunch bar of my dv6835ca Pavilion don't work if I disable the hpqwmiex service.

I get a strange notification in my Event Viewer everytime I boot-up (start Windows Event Viewer , then look in Windows Logs | Applications for events with the source name hpqwmiex) that has the description:

The description for Event ID 0 from source hpqwmiex cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

This event started immediately after I updated my HP QuickLaunch Buttons to v. 6.40.8.2 H (SP40139.exe).  All the buttons are working on my QuickLaunch bar so I decided to leave things as they are in case a re-install of SP40139.exe just makes matters worse.

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.  I wasted alot of time trying to figure out just what the hqpwmiex service does.

Intern
wguru
Message 4 of 6 (38,429 Views)

[ Edited ]

Many users no doubt will see that event log error ID ('zero') for hpqwmiex, some very likely due to those seeking to and

disabling the Pavilion QuickPlay button (as given that the last time I checked, HP neglects to afford means for users to

disable Quick Launch's 'Quick Play' button).

To disable that annoying button, assumedly where certain software and updates are installed (see below), one can

'simply' untick the msconfig startup box's ticked 'QT Buttons', which (at least on my system) thereafter disables

QP's screen overlay (QP won't appear on the screen) which essentially 'disables' the quasi nuisance of the otherwise

perpetually active QP button (which leaving the QL's volume slidebar and mute buttons still active).  Tidy users can then

wipe off 'our' Pavilions w/o starting up an unwanted program.

Users no doubt do that, not only to stop the unintentional start ups, but even more so, to curtail software designed to

ensure screen hogginess.  By that I mean, the added Pavilion annoyance of whenever QP started up (until I fixed mine), HP and/or CyberLink's failure to afford "disabling" the QP button-sensor, additionally ensured the apparent lack of a

default (at least my inital QP, QL & QT installs) customary program linkage for minimizing or exiting the program.

Although updates to all the QP utilities (and the program itself) seem to have partially remedied that aspect of the HP

Quick Play, Quick Touch and Quick Touch Buttons annoyances, as thereafter when intend for QP to start up, at least the exit/minimize linkage now briefly appears (until it automatically times out and disappears) no longer leaves this user to the 

substancial process of drilling down to even find the exit link.

For what its worth, 'my' system (Vista SP1) currently has the following HP 'Quick/CyberLink' installations:

QuickPlay for Windows v1.0.0.1, v2.04.2823 and v4.5.0.0000, QP's SP35813 v3.2 aka v4.0.100.1189, Quick Launch

Buttons SP38688 v6.4.0 D3 aka 4.0.100.1189 and SP43616 v6.40.17.2, QuickTouch's SP40139 v6.40.8.2 H and SP38358 v4.0.100.1189 aka v1.00 D.

Message Edited by wguru on 09-27-2009 07:26 PM
Message Edited by wguru on 09-27-2009 07:29 PM
Ant Student
Student
Ant
Message 5 of 6 (33,773 Views)

The thing is that, due to a long-standing bug with hpqwmiex.exe, it's a toss-up between the QuickPlay buttons working and a USB mouse freezing each time you switch user.

It would be so good to have it fixed... but as I say, it's a very long-standing bug (years) so I'm not holding my breath.

Honor Student
Careless
Message 6 of 6 (32,974 Views)

[ Edited ]

CharlesHP wrote:
don't stop this service, or some of the buttons will stop working.

That's exactly why someone would want to stop that service, to stop the ridiculously badly made buttons from turning wireless on and off, changing volumes, etc, all without anyone being near the computer.

But thank you, as your response wound up sort of fixing my problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation