Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Stream 7
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I have started the free upgrade from Windows 8.1 bing edition to Windows 10. Unfortunately the build in 32 GB of the device were not sufficient so I plugged in an 32 GB SDHC Card, which was immediatly found and used for the upgrade.

Installation continuned and while restarting now the failure message arises, please connect drive --> somehow the device seems not to be able to use the integrated SD Slot for booting.

Need help to fix this

Would appreciate your advices.

BR

Markus

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Hi
I removed the integrated sd and reinserted it. I wonder it was recognized and the installation could be finalized.

Thanks for your help. Now win 10 is running smoothly on my device.

Thanks
Markus

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

You may be able to install something on SD card BUT Windows update won't store on SD card. This is Microsoft rules, nothing to do with HP.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
The Windows 10 Download stored in the SD
Installation started normally, I have no clue why the stream is now not starting without the connected drive = sd card!

Is there something that might be necessary to be changed in the Bios for that? Anyhow we have a problem!
HP Recommended

I think some others have posted this problem here if you do a search.  I know the Stream 7 cannot boot from the SD slot so that may be the problem.  Or if it is booting from the eMMC drive and then trying to access files from the SD card to continue the boot and/or upgrade, the Windows 10 chipset drivers required for the SD card may be missing and need to be reinstalled (if Windows 10 could be booted). 

You may need to restore back to Windows 8.1 at this point to retry the upgrade.  There are some instructions here to upgrade that may help. If you did not create the Windows 8.1 recovery media prior to the upgrade attempt, it can be ordered from HP.

HP Recommended
Hi
I removed the integrated sd and reinserted it. I wonder it was recognized and the installation could be finalized.

Thanks for your help. Now win 10 is running smoothly on my device.

Thanks
Markus
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.