Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Is HP going to be offering any kind of OS updates for the Slate 7? Like Android 4.1.2, 4.2, etc? 

Actual OS updates not bug fixes for the current 4.1.1 HP Slate 7

HP Recommended

So .. No solution ?? :'(  But i want the new android version !!

HP Recommended

daisukeumon,

That is unlikely.  Nothing is impossible, but that very probably will not happen with the Slate7 2800/4600 series.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Android-Slate7,

First, let me say that I also own a Slate 7 and would love to put the latest version of Jelly Bean, KitKat, etc. on the device.  In fact, once the developers (like XDA) say it works and it's stable, I'll definitly try it.

Second, this is not the first (or 5th) Android device I've owned.  None of these devices were supported by their manufacturers with later versions of Android.  I have always been looking to cyanogenmod or others (like Kamatr) to share ways to upgrade.

My advice is to not expect HP to help with upgrading the OS on tablets they sell.  Embrace the fact that Android is basically open-source and that the devices can be rooted.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Is there a reason why HP is not going to update the OS on a device they just released to market? Hearing from an HP employee that a newer version of android is not coming to the tablet is baffeling. So where is the open source tree for the HP slate 7? If I cannot expect HP to support a device they just released. Then I can at try to update my tablet myself.

HP Recommended

daisukeumon,

I agree with you.  Like I said, I'm a Slate 7 customer also and I want to upgrade.  I am not the person that decides these things.  If I can find an open source tree and am allowed to share I certainly will.

I no longer use the full disclaimer in my sig but it used to say that I do not 'speak for HP.'  And I can't say with certainty what will happen.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Not to play devils advocate but updates for Non nexus devices is a major problem in Android world. As of now there is no information of 4.2/4.3 release on the HP Slate 7 but may be down the line.

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
HP Recommended

I think there is sometimes confusion around "support" or "updates" to an OS and "upgrading" an os version.

HP does support the Slate7, and updates to the OS have been delivered. (1.05.9 just released today). These type of updates provide bug fixes and security updates.

However, upgrades to a new version of the operating system are not always provided.

i wish it was a simpler process and OS version upgrades would be provided for all products (including non-hp) , but I also have received no Android OS version upgrades for any of the 3 different model Android phones I have purchased, the first one with gingerbread, and the second two with ICS.

I am speaking for myself, but I don't expect an OS version upgrade to be the same as providing OS updates.

With the popularity of the device, others may find methods to upgrade the OS. I haven't checked any of the third party teams like cyanogen to see if they are developing anything specific to Slate 7, but maybe someone is developing one.

I am an HP employee

-Bryan
HP Recommended

I am not cofunsed about what I am asking. I specifically asking about when, and if HP is going to be providing an update to a later version of android. Like 4.2 or 4.3. Heck even 4.1.2. I have heard nothing official from HP regarding this.

HP Recommended

@daisukeumon wrote:

I am not cofunsed about what I am asking. I specifically asking about when, and if HP is going to be providing an update to a later version of android. Like 4.2 or 4.3. Heck even 4.1.2. I have heard nothing official from HP regarding this.

I guess  Bryan's response pretty much nailed it. As of now there is no proper ETA or information on 4.1.2/4.2/4.3 update for this device. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.