Question

Honor Student
techhazard
Message 1 of 5 (2,619 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cannot uninstall Ask.com toolbar.

I was using tool bar that installed with new computer.  I was at the "Ask" site once and it put it's toolbar on my screen

and I cannot find the one I liked that had all  my auto fill info stored.  I tried several times to uninstall Ask and I get an error

1316.A.  Computer says it is unable to uninstall.

I then went to Ask site and they instructed me to "click here" to uninstall.  It led to a page that said "page no longer exists."

They advised that if that did not work to click on a certain site and download a little program that would do the uninstall.

This resulted in all these programs takingover my home page, e mail page etc.  I then uninstalled those programs.  The

computer says they were successfully uninstalled and they have disappeared from the program list.  However, they are still on my computer.  I tried resetting my computer to a prior date but it would only go a few days back...Not far enough.

Trust that I will never ever let myself get directed to Ask site again.  I will appreciate any help you can give.  Thanks!!!

Computer is HP Touchsmart 310 PC

Windows 7 64 bit operating system

Associate Professor
frrw
Message 2 of 5 (2,608 Views)

Re: Cannot uninstall Ask.com toolbar.

Hello techhazard:

Hi champ no problem. Go to tools on your Internet Explorer left click on it. Goto Ask tool bar and uncheck it. Then right click on Tools select Manage add ons.  Select Toolbars and Extension  now in list beside it Click on  all Ask.com stuff  and dissable it. Now select Search Providers click on Ask if it is listed or my playcity any thing that was related to Ask. and click on remove. Close Internet Explorer and reopen it  wa wa gone.

Now goto programs and features and check if it is listed if so uninstall it. Please click on Kudos if this resolved your issue. Thank you frrw. If not then let us know and I can provide instructions for going into the program files and deleting it by files individually. Then getting it off your system.

Student
EricFromAsk
Message 3 of 5 (2,605 Views)

Greetings,

Removing our toolbar is pretty easy to do. We've published an FAQ with the removal steps here:

http://asksupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2908

Should you require any additional help, you can reach our Customer Support team via this link:

http://asksupport.custhelp.com/app/ask

And just as a side note, unless you specifically download the toolbar from our site, the only way to install it is by selecting to do so during the installation of any of our partners which bundle the toolbar with their software. But no matter which method you used to install the toolbar, it's pretty easy to remove using the steps at the link above.

Best regards,

Eric

Ask.com

Honor Student
techhazard
Message 4 of 5 (2,602 Views)

Hi Grad student,

Thank you so much for your help.  I am not that great with some of the technical aspects, as you may have

noticed......i.e.my tag name. 

It just is so frustrating when these things attatch like a band of leaches onto my computer. 

Am so grateful to yo for your help.  Saving the info too!   

Suz

Student
bitty
Message 5 of 5 (852 Views)

cannot uninstall ask toolbar i get error 1316

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation