Question

Student
MsBPC
Message 1 of 3 (1,594 Views)

Poor TV picture from IQ526

I just purchased my IQ526 Touchscreen Computer, with TV tuner. For the life of me, I can not get it to produce a decent televison picture! I have tried connecting it to an HD cable box using the s-video connectorm(since s-video and coaxial cable are the only connectors for video imput on this computer)  and still the picture is fuzzy.

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it?

If so, please tell me what you did son I can enjoy a decent picture.

Thanks,

BPC

Student
needHPhelp
Message 2 of 3 (1,459 Views)

Re: Poor TV picture from IQ526

I am having the same problemI recommended the IQ526 to my father and got it installed for him last weekend. Unfortunately the TV picture is quite poor. I tried a different cable and even routed it to the cable outlet where I am getting a great signal for the Homes regular flatscreen TVThe picture looks worse than regular definition TV (480p).  We have called the HP help line a number of times and each time we get a different answer:

Here are examples of the different answers from HP

- Yes this computer is capable of a high def picture, please return it if the picture is poor

- Yes the computer is high def but the tuner is not, you need a cable box tuner attached (no explanation how to do that - Father assumed he meant via the coax but that cannot support high def between the cable box and the PC

Yes, the computer is highdef but the tuner is not, you need to attach a cable box via S-Video (well this is impossible because S-Video does not support high def signals)

- Yes the computer is high def but you cannot get High Def from a cable, you MUST use an over the air UHF/ VHF antenna (well, that seems restrictive in this day in age....)

Neither the customer service reps nor the tech reps are able to answer why the PC cannot even get regular def quality signal but they love pashing the video tuner that is installed in the PC.

Per HP's web site this computer comes with a high def ATSC tuner (Advanced Television Systems Committee was created to generate a standard for digital television which is designed to replace NTSC in the United States. ATSC provides for high definition including the 16:9 wide screen format up to 1920x1080 pixels in size)

HP, please help usIs the ATSC tuner not workingIs it not high defWhy are we not even getting regular definition TV picture quality?

Distinguished Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 3 of 3 (1,436 Views)

Re: Poor TV picture from IQ526

[ Edited ]

Do not attempt to run a TV signal through the yellow video RCA port or S-video port. These are only for video signals (not TV) and only for capturing software - not Media Center. 

ATSC high-definition only works with an aerial antenna through the coaxial connector. If you want "digital" broadcast television, then use a coaxial connection to an Antenna - heck, you can even use a set of old rabbit-ears for testing. After you make the connection, rerun Media Center TV tuner setup and make sure you select "digital" when asked.

Your tuners also support NTSC through auto-switching hardware on the TV tuner card. Only one connection can be made - atsc or ntsc - not both. If you are using cable TV, connect the coaxial connector into the coaxial port and do NOT select digital when going through Media Center tuner setup. - choose analog. As you said, you cannot get high-definition through the NTSC signal - true. QAM tuners yes - for unprotected HD cable content, but yours is not QAM - it is NTSC.

The restrictions are mostly around digital rights management protecting content. To get HD protected content from a cable box, you need an HDMI/DVI connection from a cable set top box... or a special tuner package with a cable card.

This support document describes the digital stuff:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01589549&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_US...

Message Edited by RasterBlaster on 05-07-2009 12:14 PM
... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation