Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ProBook 4540s
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

This morning, prior to leaving for work, I was on my laptop working on a few stories in notepad. There was no unusual activity in notepad or in any of my apps. After coming home from work a few hours later, I turned on my laptop to discover that it had gone into a cycle of attempting and failing to repair itself. This error occurred immediately after Windows failed to repair for the 5th time. Not only would it not start properly, but I have no access to many of the normal windows Fn prompts. This only ones that appear when I hit ESC on start are F1-2, F7-10 and F12. I can't access any of the recovery options and I've been trying for several hours to find ANY kind of solution; even the most temporary ones. all the solutions I've seen thus far that don't require me completely replacing or removing the hard drive have yet to work for me.

I've come to the conclusion that I need to; A) Reinstall windows, but I can't access the recovery menu at all. or B)Adjust my hard drive's physical location as I've read many comments saying that was the cause of others' own experience with this error.

When running the diagnostics, if showed NO hard drive errors at all. The hard drive that I currently have installed is working at 100% and passed the extensive checks as well. I even ran a Memory Diagnostics out of curiosity to see if it might be a problem in that area. That checked out fine as well.

I'm at the end of my rope and have no idea what could have happened to start all of this. I've avoided trying riskier tactics for fear of causing more severe damage than what might be happening. Any tips or advice?

Steps Taken Thus far:

Hard reset after the error started roughly 8 times
Searched online for possible solutions
Created 3 individual recovery USBs: Each have a Windows image, Recovery manager and Boot manager respectively (None of which were able to function despite my changing the boot order
Tried the ESC menu and several Button Prompts on start, most of which were unresponsive

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.