Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 2018 (15-CH004no)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I keep getting frustrated at this expensive product that doesnt provide what I expected from a premium grade product, but I'll try to not make this a rant.

It has been months now since I last used this as a tablet, and I believe this is some kind of issue introduced with a Windows upgrade. The issue is that the display no longer changes orientation when flipped or folded. In fact, when folded, it no longer transitions into tablet mode automatically, and the keyboard is no longer disabled when in folded state.

I have periodically tried to resolve this by uninstalling and deleting drivers for graphics, touch and sensors/chipset, and reinstalling them from HP support page, all to no avail. I also have sucessfully ruled out an issue of accelerometer hardware itself - I downloaded a Windows 10 modern UI-app that gives me accelerometer readings, and that seems to be alright.

Something that is visibly not working is the setting to enable auto-rotate.
This option is grayed out in the Windows setting and in the action center.

I've even tried everything from using the HP troubleshooter, downloading all driver in the HP assistant software to doing some "risky" registry editings and other suggested actions I could find on the internet - all to no avail.

Any one got any idea how to solve this? 

Mahnas92_0-1620341860280.png 

Mahnas92_1-1620341947232.png

Rotation lock is greyed out in both the Action  Center and in Settings

I want to try formatting the PC with a fresh install of Windows, though I am not confident this will solve anything, and so I don't want to undergo a PC reset and reconfigure everything.

In fact, this is to the extent that I usually always do a fresh install on new PCs I buy, but this PC has been an exception - even though I've had to do detective work to find and eliminate HP-executable responsible for the PC to pop-up warning every time I charge my PC through USB-C via third party 65W charghing hub with USB-PD.

I want to keep this rant free, but another idea I've had. Since I've been considering to upgrade to an 1 TB SSD for a while now, I am thinking I should try upgrading and installing a new system on the new SSD to test if the issue is solved like that, before cloning partitions or something like that.

However, I've been reluctant to upgrading in the first place in fear of messing up with the rubber strip covering the screws of my premium notebook. And so, even more reluctant about using the PC at my own will, by unscrewing, and screwing the backplate and swapping SSD's as I like without the worry of destroying, damaging or scratching the material, wether the apparently thin plastic or the rubber strip, that is important both functionally and aesthetically.

I shouldn't need to do this and I, even less, shouldn't need to wait for the next major Windows 10 update until I can, again, use my convertible laptop as such. Isn't it enough I gave up on the HP Tilt Pen that accopanied the PC, and that I've had issues with since the beginning, ceeding to the message that it works as designed when asking for support here in these forums?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.