Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv9700
Linux

I had been running Ubuntu 14 LTS 32 bit using the 173.14.09 NVIDIA video driver and that worked fine. I did a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 64 bit and I can't find a video driver that works.

My system is an HP Pavilion dv9700 laptop, serial# CNF8106P1L, service tag dv9810us. 3GB memory, 500GB SSD hard drive, processor is AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 × 2, graphic is Gallium 0.4 on NV67. lspci says my graphics card is NVIDIA Corporation C67 [GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M] (rev a2).

The defaut Nouveau driver lasts a few minutes and the screen dissolves into unusability. There are 2 NVIDIA drivers with Ubuntu - 304.131 (proprietary, tested) and 304.131 (proprietary). If I switch to 304.131 (proprietary, tested), the screen immediately goes black and the machine is frozen. It will reboot only to the login screen at which point the screen goes black and the system seems frozen. The only cure I am aware of is to reinstall Ubuntu. If I switch to 304.131 (proprietary) it lasts about as long as Nouveau, but Nouveau starts to deteriorate a bit first, giving some warning of imminent failure. This driver fails all of a sudden, though the system can be powered off and back up.

So, the question is what should I be using for a graphics driver and where can I get it?

Thanks for your help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.