Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8570w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Dear everyone,

I am not sure if my question belongs to this board as it concerns the firmware of my HP laptop (EliteBook 8570w) but I thought this board is closest one for my issue.

I recently received an email from HP with a critical driver alert to update my firmware, see the image below.

support_alert.png

I downloaded and installed the executable after which a page with instructions on how to updatewas automatically opened. I've included all relevant parts of the page in the image below.

firmware_update.png

I believed that I had to update via the DOS as I have always been thinking that my notebook has a BIOS and not an UEFI setup. I actually doubt that now, and even if this indeed is true, I'm not even sure if it is really relevant. In any case I followed the instructions for updating in a DOS environment:

1. I created a DOS bootable USB device (using Rufus).
  2. copied the folders that came with the update, but only the ones that I should use for my notebook according to the table in the above image.
  3. booted the USB to DOS
  4. browsed to the folder with the executable
  5. executed with the command `FWUpdLcl.exe -f 81713608.bin' (thus with the -f option and the appropriate number for the binary)

However, I get an error when trying to run the exectuable. It says: `Error 8714: Firmware update not initiated due to file open or read failure'. I've made a picture of this as well, see below.

DSC_0002.JPG

Does anyone know how to handle this error?

One thought I had was that I shouldn't browse to the executable but to the binary and then run the command. However, that gives an error as well:

Bad command or filename - "FWUpdLcl.exe". 

So that I think my first approach was right.

I hope someone can help me out!

Alwin

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.