Laserjet 4 Driver (26936 Views)
Student
JayHub
Message 1 of 17 (26,936 Views)

Laserjet 4 Driver

One of our printers is an indestructible HP Laserjet 4. HP has provided drivers for it through Windows Vista. Will a driver for this printer be provided in the fall for Windows 7?
Professor
RasterBlaster
Message 2 of 17 (26,926 Views)

Re: Laserjet 4 Driver

Don't know about the future state of drivers for Windows 7. But... have you tried to install the Vista drive and use it?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=15042&lang=en&cc=us&t...

... an HP employee expressing his own opinion.
Please post rather than send me a Message. It's good for the community and I might not be able to get back quickly. - Thank you.
Honor Student
mikkijc
Message 3 of 17 (25,214 Views)

I have not been able to get the LaserJet 4 print driver in Win 7 upgrade to work.  The printer worked with Windows Vista.  Frustrating!!!!  I wish HP would include various drivers on their web site.  Any suggestions?

Honor Student
panzit1
Message 4 of 17 (25,165 Views)

I have upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit. and have a laserjet 4. Will drivers become available ? 

Honor Student
mikkijc
Message 5 of 17 (25,151 Views)

The Print Driver is NOT the problem.  When I switched printer ports the LaserJet 4 worked.   I have three laptops and none of them would work with the HP LaserJet 4 printer.  After selecting the Virtual Printer for USB all them are now functioning beautifully.

Honor Student
panzit1
Message 6 of 17 (25,140 Views)

How did you switch the laserjet 4  to a USB port? Mine does not have one.

Jim

Student
alexzed
Message 7 of 17 (24,696 Views)

I own a Laserjet 4 and on eBay it is very easy to find a parallel to USB lead (or rather USB to Centronics lead as the socket on the printer is called a Centronics socket) and I am using one now. I plugged the printer into my laptop running Windows 7 and it got installed automatically as Windows 7 includes HP Laserjet 4 and 4+ and 4M etc. drivers (if your version doesn't then they are on Windows Update)

Honor Student
panzit1
Message 8 of 17 (24,691 Views)

Many thanks for the info. Will give it a try.  Jim

Intern
Aidsky
Message 9 of 17 (23,820 Views)

One of our printers is an indestructible HP Laserjet 4. HP has provided drivers for it through Windows Vista. Will a driver for this printer be provided in the fall for Windows 7?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The print driver is available through the Win 7 OS.  If you try to add the printer and don't see the LaserJet 4 print driver, click on the "Windows Update" button and it will pull all available drivers from the Microsoft website.  This takes a bit of time.  After the process is completed, you should see the LaserJet 4 driver.  Select that driver and continue with the installation process.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
JA3 Student
Student
JA3
Message 10 of 17 (15,172 Views)

I have been trying to use Windows Update to access and download the additional drivers, including the Laserjet 4 driver.  It always tells me it was unable to access the driver file and to try again later.  This has been going on for a week.  Any ideas?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation