Question

Tutor
pdx101
Message 1 of 20 (42,340 Views)

Webcam Driver for Win 7 on HP Pavilion tx2000

Upgraded from Vista to Windows 7 on HP Pavilion tx2000 laptop.

Knocked out access to internal Webcam.

CYBERLINK (YouCam preinstalled) said YouCam 3.0 would fix.  Paid and installed, but, it didn't work (CYBERLINK said there's a bug they're working on).

HP, so far, only replied "we don't support Windows 7."

I mean, really, this has got to be a dead-easy Driver to create and distribute -- how many HP laptops and webcams will be impacted this year?

If I have to buy a Microsoft external webcam (LifeCam) that defeats the entire reason of having a laptop.

HELP (PLEASE).  There are posts around various tech forums and no one has an answer.

Honor Student
Magdelaine
Message 2 of 20 (42,208 Views)

Re: Webcam Driver for Win 7 on HP Pavilion tx2000

I'm interested in an answer to this too...before I install Windows 7. I need my webcam for work. I have a dv5-1000us if that makes a difference.
Tutor
pdx101
Message 3 of 20 (42,071 Views)

Let's see, in addition to losing access to my WebCam (and, after a 3.0 upgrade/paid to Cyberlink YouCam, where support has abanonded me)...

I had to install new drivers to get Second Life to run.

And, it now appears that the Bluetooth isn't functioning.

Upgrade to Windows 7.  BEWARE.  It's a mine field.  And, HP don't seem to be very active in addressing the "basics"

Tutor
pdx101
Message 4 of 20 (41,890 Views)

Re: Webcam Driver for Win 7 on HP Pavilion tx2000 - UPDATE

UPDATE:

Cyberlink (YouCam) that ships with most HP product finally updated their YouCam3 (paid), and offered new install. 

But, it doesn't work (still no access to webcam) due to HP not writing drivers for Windows 7.

////

I have to wonder about value of this forum, since it doesn't seem to serve as more than a faux HP public relations gimmick.

Even a reply from HP such as, "hey, we're getting around to it" would have been welcomed.

I can't say I'd buy an HP product again at this point.

Tutor
JMABRZ
Message 5 of 20 (41,444 Views)

I have the very same laptop and I haven't experienced problems at all.

So far I've tested:

-Upgrading from Windows Vista Ultimate (32 bit)

-Upgrading from Windows Vista Home Premium (32 bit)

-Clean Install (64 bit)

What you could try is to download the softpack from HP called "YouCam software". Install it on Windows 7.

---------------------------
Microsoft Beta Tester
Zic Ways
---------------------------
Top Student
Dalek_Supreme13
Message 6 of 20 (41,414 Views)

This could work (I think) :

• Download the drivers for Vista (make sure you have the right archetecture (x86 or x64)) ;
  • Do not execute the EXE. Instead, extract it using a software like WinRAR ;
  • Go to the Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and select your webcam (it either identifies itself as a webcam or something or "Unknown device". Should have an exclamation mark or interrogation mark) ;
  • Right click on it and select "Update Device Driver..." ;
  • The "Update Device Driver" wizard should appear. Select "Browse my computer for driver software" ;
  • Browse to the folder where you extracted the EXE, and then press "Next..." and see if it finds it.

Tutor
pdx101
Message 7 of 20 (41,126 Views)

@jmabrz

@dalek

Thanks for suggestions.  Regrettably, neither worked.  I wound up caught with not being able to get through install due to not having Win 11 Media Player (since it's not avail for Win 7).  Tried a range of alternatives.

Nothing yet.  No web cam access at all.

I have gone through the Right-click update drivers thing so many times my Right thumb is bruised.

I just don't see this working 'til the real version of Win 7 is released.  Or, maybe never.  HP has been ZERO help, and I'm sure I'm not the only person to have experienced this.

Thanks again.

Student
JaimeLobo
Message 8 of 20 (41,000 Views)

No problems with my Tx2000 either, I did a separate install of Windows 7 as a dual boot (not an upgrade) and my webcam worked in Skype.

Pretty much everything just worked after the install, I was actually kind of amazed I didn't need to track anything down; I think the only driver not loaded after install was sound. I installed the Vista version and that worked.

It shows up as HP Webcam in Device Manager with Microsoff Driver - ksthunk.sys and usbvideo.sys, both listed as version 6.1.7100.0

--

James

MS MVP, Media Center

Student
a9davis
Message 9 of 20 (26,311 Views)

[ Edited ]

Upgraded to win 7 lost cybercam, can you send software to reinstall?

{Personal Information Removed}

Intern
nybadboy11
Message 10 of 20 (25,264 Views)

Re: windows 7

I have windows 7 and i was going to upgrade to windows 7 premium because i keep getting error messages on my firefox it keeps freezing and i cant shut down without doing it by power button and i know this is not good so i thought by up grading maybe it would take care of the software prob can anyone help PLEASE

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation