Win 7 Clean Install and HP recovery partition (50414 Views)
Honor Student
Chuckstar
Message 1 of 10 (50,414 Views)

Win 7 Clean Install and HP recovery partition

I've got a Pavilion dv6910ea currently running on vista HP 32 bit.

I've got my Windows 7 (full version) pre-ordered and want to install the 64 bit version (which will need a clean install). 

I plan to make recovery backup discs (just in case), but just wondering if I'll have any issues if I remove the HP recovery partition since I've heard this won't really be of any use once the new OS is installed and will be better if it's a completely fresh install.

Is it fine to remove the recovery partition?

Will I have the option to do this during custom boot install or need to reformat first?

Is there anything else other than personal files/folders to backup prior to installing (drivers, etc...)?

Thanks

C

Teacher
CowboyDiplomacy
Message 2 of 10 (49,578 Views)

Re: Win 7 Clean Install and HP recovery partition

[ Edited ]

Okay, this is how you remove a partition.

WARNING: THIS WILL PERMANENTLY DELETE THE PARTITION, AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET IT BACK!!! AT ALL!!! DO AT OWN RISK!!!

Using Windows 7

Step 1:

Go to Start, right click on "Computer", then click "Manage".

Step 2:

In the navigation pane, click on "Storage".  Then click on "Disk Management" to reveal the Disk Management Pane.

Step 3:

Right Click on "Factory Image" and click "Format...".  Click "Ok" on the dialog box that opens up.  Click "Ok" on the message box that opens up asking if you would like to continue.  There is no progress bar, so just wait a few seconds.  Only took about 5 or 10 seconds on my machine.

Step 4:

Now, go back and right-click on "Factory Image" again.  Click on "Delete Volume".

Now that you have deleted the recovery partition, you have so unallocated space on your hard disk drive.  We will now add this unusable space to the main partition, so that it becomes use able.

Step 1:

Right-click on "C:" (or whatever you main drive letter is) and click on "Extend Volume".  A wizard will appear.  Click next.

Step 2:

Now, make sure that the space in the "Available space in MB" box is the same number as the one in the "Select the amount of space in MB" box.  This should automatically be done for you.  Click "Next",  Then "Finish".

All done!

If you'd like further detailed instruction, I'll be more than happy to make a YouTube video for you on the process.  But, hopefully that is adequate.

Edited to remove the smiley that occurred at "Step 2.1"

>>>If I've made you happy, please return the favor by clicking on the white star under my name
Teacher
CowboyDiplomacy
Message 3 of 10 (49,577 Views)

And to answer questions:

Q: Is it fine to remove the recovery partition?

A:  I would burn it first, but yes, it is perfectly fine to remove it.  I did, no issues.

Q: Will I have the option to do this during custom boot install or need to reformat first?

A:  You should be able to repartition everything through the Windows Installer.

Q: Is there anything else other than personal files/folders to backup prior to installing (drivers, etc...)?

A:  So long as your computer shipped with Windows 7, you should not have any problem getting drivers from the HP Support website.  But, through some research, it looks like your machine did not.  If your machine came with Windows Vista, the HP installers will not let you install your computers drivers through Windows 7.  But, your computer should function just fine off of the drivers installed from Windows during the Windows 7 install process.  But, you will loose some functionality, such as...

1)  Your HP keyboard will still control the volume, but you will no longer have the bars that show up to show you how turned up it is.

2)  If you use and HP software, it will not work with Windows 7 because of HP's installer.

3)  You will no longer be able to do BIOS updates, because, once again, HP's installer will not let you.

I've always done clean installs on my machines.  I did a clean install of Vista when I bought my computer (HP Slimline s3220n) and my computer has functioned flawlessly.  I also did a clean install of Windows 7 32-Bit, and once again, not so much as a single hickup.  So long as you do not use HP's software, you will not encounter any issues.  Also, if you delete the recovery partition, the "Recovery" option during your computer's POST screen will no longer be available.

About HP's Installer:  It's not that the drivers or software wont work with Windows 7, it's that HP's installer wont install them without the factory operating system.  I do believe is is very poor engineering on HP's part.  I might be able to hunt down some installers for the same drivers that will work with Windows 7, but that is NOT GUARANTEED!!!

>>>If I've made you happy, please return the favor by clicking on the white star under my name
Teacher
CowboyDiplomacy
Message 4 of 10 (49,565 Views)

Just did some research on HP's driver installer.  Their is a way to install the Vista drivers on a Windows 7 machine.  If you want, I can get them all and upload them to a site for download for you.

Student
harbo95
Message 5 of 10 (45,074 Views)

Cowboydiplomacy, you ROCK. Thanks for the help!

Student
impranavparikh
Message 6 of 10 (40,373 Views)

my partition D: that is recover drive is not being shown though i didnt delete it...

and its memory is also not being used anywhere...

how to recover the recovery drive then?????

Teacher
compunerd60
Message 7 of 10 (27,900 Views)

Greeting's!

Having the same problem with my client's DV6000 laptop after removing the board & sending off for an exchange for a GPU issue with no video or wireless function's.

I noticed when checking his files & partician's using an external hdd kit with the hdd out of the laptop his D: partician HP recovery was removed somehow & also had W7 instead or Vista installed.

How it got there I do not know.

My client doesn't know either. It was on there when he bought the laptop used.

Now what i'm wanting to know is how can I reinstall that D: partician with the HP recovery without the disk's.

I have a few HP DV6xxxx  series recovery disks in my possession that I keep for this reason for reinstalling the OS on some, but not for one that has W7 on it. Just with Vista.

Will any of the disk's work for reinstalling the HP recovery partician?

Or will i have to if he want's me to bother with it order recovery disk's for W7?

Thank's for any input!

David 

HP Pavilion D2346C Seagate 500 gig 7200 rpm 4 gb FoxConn socket 775
Compaq Presario laptop CQ57 Windows 7 64 bit 4 gb's ram
Compaq Presario F700US Windows Vista 64 bit 2gb ram.

Being old is no fun at all!
Home based computer repair business PCTech Inc.
Tutor
rocksolid
Message 8 of 10 (23,876 Views)

I read somewhere that if there is a change in partion type like resizing or creating a new partition the basic Volume in Win 7 becomes dynamic Volume. Then the recovery partition is not accessible even if visible. I have a Probook 4530s with Win 7 H Premium factory installed. There is no way of making recovery discs from that partition as the F11 option or post boot recovery manager or disc creation software i Win 7 is not provided. I could not do anything with that Recovery Partition even if I see aobut 12 GB space occupied by it.

After some more reseach I am going to blow it and recover the space. I have already earned free Recvoery discs from HP by telling them my problem and they sent me the disc instantly.

Still I wonder what was the function of that recovery partition if nothing - win 7 or HP utilities can access it. I am sure it is nto corrupted.

some say they have recovery partition as D: some say it is there as E: . I have changed the drive letter to D: from E: in my laptop to see if windows recognizes it or F11 works after reboot. However nothing happens with this partition. So many people have this problem . My guess it that HP has fogotten to provide Disc creation software on some models and also forgot to provide them with physical recovery discs conviniently. If Toyota can recall millions of problem cars, HP too can send Recovery discs to all registered buyers.

Teacher
compunerd60
Message 9 of 10 (22,595 Views)

Interesting guy's!

I have the DV6225us where I'm having to install another board for the lousey gpu issues they have.

I simply just use the reimage process before anything dasterly happen's. (Like that word)?

Then you can simply install everything back the way it was after particianing the drive with two partician's.

Using the letter change form D: to E:

HP Pavilion D2346C Seagate 500 gig 7200 rpm 4 gb FoxConn socket 775
Compaq Presario laptop CQ57 Windows 7 64 bit 4 gb's ram
Compaq Presario F700US Windows Vista 64 bit 2gb ram.

Being old is no fun at all!
Home based computer repair business PCTech Inc.
Student
joeol
Message 10 of 10 (7,233 Views)

[ Edited ]

This is without a doubt the clearest set of directions I've found to accomplish this task.

GREAT INFO

THANK YOU!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation