Question

Intern
PigVomit
Message 1 of 16 (22,488 Views)
Accepted Solution

SOLUTION: Get Win 7 Printer Drivers/HP Solution Center to Work on Windows 8

[ Edited ]

Took me some time to figure it out, but I got it to work.

First of all, the preliminaries:

I have an HP dv9700t laptop running the 64-bit version of Windows 8 Pro RTM (not the preview, but I assume it will work on Preview as well).  My printer is an HP Photosmart C7280.  If you have a different printer, it is possible that something similar to how I solved my problem will help you, especially by running your installation files in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode.

Windows 8 does come with stock C7280 printer drivers that work by going into Control Panel>Devices and Printers>Add A Printer, but there's only limited functionality with those.  As such, I wanted to run the HP installation files to have increased functionality.

Unfortunately, when I ran the full installation file from HP for my printer, there was no "Install a Printer" button, or any of the other usual buttons.  There was only an "Exit" button.

Here's how to get it to run and install properly.

Right-click on the HP Full Installation file, then Properties>Compatibility>then check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", then select "Windows 7" in the dropdown box, then Click "OK".

Run the installation file as you normally would in Windows 7.

I tried this two ways.....the first while connected via USB cable.  It worked just fine with no errors.

I also tried it with the printer connected to my network via WiFi.  Ran into some problems.

The installation program would detect my printer just fine, and I clicked "Next" or "OK" or whatever the prompt was to install the printer.  The installation would hang on "Reply from SNMP" (or something similar) and it would list the IP address of my printer.  I waited, waited, waited for an hour, and it wouldn't get past this.  Not to worry.

Proceed with normal installation until you get to the "Reply from SNMP" message and the installation stops responding.

Enter the Task Manager with CTRL-ALT-DEL.  You'll see an entry in the "Apps" for the HP installation program....LEAVE THIS ALONE.

Below the "Apps" list you will see the "Background Processes" list.  In this list is something along the lines of "HP Network UI", or something similar, consuming a significant amount of CPU.  Highlight this entry, then click, "End Task" at the bottom.

The "SNMP" window will close and your installation program will then finish normally and your printer/fax/scanner will be properly installed.  HP Solution Center works normally, as does printing, scanning, etc.

Will the next person who uses this give some feedback and also answer some questions for me so I can update this post with more specific information?

Please let me know what the exact "SNMP" message is when the installation hangs.  Please also let me know the exact name of the "HP Network UI" background process is, as well as the HP Installation app name.

Hopefully this will help you.

Tutor
jamiet
Message 2 of 16 (22,421 Views)

Re: SOLUTION: Get Win 7 Printer Drivers/HP Solution Center to Work on Windows 8

Wow, excellent. Really appreciate you sharing hank you.

In the interim I've been using ScanWiz (http://www.softi.co.uk/scanwiz.htm) given that I couldn't get HP Solution Center installed.

Top Student
hkoerner
Message 3 of 16 (22,235 Views)

thanks for the solution. I have an HP Photosmart D110a wireless printer. Windows 8 installed a generic printer driver that worked fine for printing but I lost all functionality to the scanner of the device. 

I tried to follow your instructions. I do get an error at some point when the software installer tries to talk to the printer and it gives an error message. It finds the printer OK but stalls. The error message is different and merely reports that there is a problem, no further details. There is indeed a background task "HP Network UI" or similar but ending this task doesn't do anything on my system. The Network UI task ends and the error message stays open. I ended a couple more background tasks but it would not go anywhere.

I then uninstalled the entire package, unplugged the printer, turned its wireless feature off and reinstalled the software in Windows 7 compatibility mode. When it asked to plug in the printer to the USB it finds it right away, the installation continues and is almost finished when it stalls again. This time it reports that it has a problem again and needs to uninstall. Still with the error message and installer open I open the installed "Solution Center" and I can find the printer fine (it actually lists two devices, one being grayed out). It initially gave me an error message when I tried to scan something, but ignored the error. Eventually the scanner worked as intended. I force ended all installer tasks in the task manager and the Solution Center works fine and does all tasks it did under Windows 7, now in Windows 8

thanks again for the post

Intern
PigVomit
Message 4 of 16 (21,898 Views)

Glad to hear some form of my solution is working for others.

Top Student
hkoerner
Message 5 of 16 (21,890 Views)

[ Edited ]

yeah, still working. thanks, without your guide I wouldn't have tried. The path in the end was a different one. 

on another note. I got excited when I saw that HP released a Windows 8 App in the store. 

http://www.neowin.net/news/hp-releases-windows-8-printing-and-image-app

of course, it's not working with my printer. But it seems that yours is among those that should work.

cheers

Top Student
mellaby
Message 6 of 16 (21,738 Views)

I can't find the HP App in the win 8 store. I'm running RP.

Top Student
hkoerner
Message 7 of 16 (21,729 Views)

I am pretty sure you will only be able to see the app in RTM and not in Relase Preview. 

Intern
PigVomit
Message 8 of 16 (21,720 Views)

hkoerner wrote:

"of course, it's not working with my printer. But it seems that yours is among those that should work."

Well, I'm happy that you have hope for me.  I've been an HP customer long enough to have little or none, as my printer is over three years old.  Hell, they stopped updating drivers for my laptop 6 months after it was released.  My Win8 RTM-loaded laptop isn't available to me right now to check.  If recollection serves me correctly, I had to wait a couple months after Win 7 retailed to get official Win 7 drivers.

Yes, HP, that last November HP-specific video driver release for my dv7t-6000 CTO is, *ahem*, a little stale, but I have nowhere else to update from.  At least I can find updated driver releases for other components from the manufacturers, even if you haven't updated those either.

The only reason I bought HP again is I've found I can't live without a fingerprint reader, and there are few choices out there for built-in readers.

Tutor
ahmedrazaqa
Message 9 of 16 (21,634 Views)

HP J4580 All in One (Fax, Printer, Copier & Scanner) 

Operating System: Windows 8 Professional 

Unable to run the All in One setup of either Win7 or XP with or without compatability under Win8. The printer & scanner has been installed by Win8 itself using windows update. But unfortunately, I cannot make out how to install fax printer or the Solution Center.

Any help will be highly appreciated. 

Tutor
ahmedrazaqa
Message 10 of 16 (21,580 Views)

I was able to get this sorted out by running the setup as an administrator in addition to Win7 compatability check mark. Without run as administrator, after clicking the install button, nothing happens.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation